Wednesday, 20 September 2017

Marrow, Manchego Cheese, White Beans and Sage Pithivier

I made this Marrow, Manchego Cheese, White Beans and Sage Pithivier with some of the marrow that was left over from the Marrow Conserve recipe (featured in the photograph) next to the jars.

I have to admit, I was not overly impressed with the filling whilst I was making it.  It looked a bit simple and boring.  I was also unsure what cheese to use and still had some remnants of Manchego cheese left over from Griddled Summer Vegetable Tart with Manchego Cheese Tart and added that to the mixture when it had cooled down. The puff pastry was filled, folded into pasties and then baked to taken into work the following day for lunch. 
Well surprising  these Marrow, Manchego Cheese, White Beans and Sage Pasties were delicious.  I have to concur with my husband that I too also enjoyed it. 

The following day, I  used the last of the filling to make some into pithivier style, but you can also just top puff pastry sliced like a flat tart or pizza.


If you don't have marrows, or don't want to use them then use courgettes after all overgrown marrows.
I am sharing this with Bake of the Week hosted by Casa Costello. and Tuma's Tongue Treats who is hosting My Legume Love Affair this month which was created by Susan and is now hosted by Lisa
Marrow, Manchego Cheese, White Beans and Sage 
For the filling
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions, minced
2 cloves garlic crushed
300g marrow, cored and diced
1 teaspoon dried sage
1x 400g cannelini beans, drained and rinsed
180g cheddar cheese and Manchego, grated
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
Heat oil in a wide pan, then stir in the onions and saute until translucent, then stir in the garlic and marrow and sage and cook on medium heat until the marrow is soft with a little bit of bite. 
Season to taste, then set aside to cool.
When cool, stir in the manchego cheese and fill your puff pastry as required
For the Pithivier
Use appropriate amount of puff pastry
Bake in oven gas mark 4/180oc for 25 - 30 minutes or until golden and puffed.

7 comments:

  1. funnily enough someone the other day on my FB timeline was asking people for recipe ideas for marrow (I have just send this recipe her way now!). How lovey to see a creative way if using up marrows. it looks and sounds delicious . thank you for linking to #BakeoftheWeek x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny - this week has been all about the marrow.

      Delete
  2. sounds really delicious to me - I wish I had such interesting lunches - often it is just rolls with cheese and chutney.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna, our work lunches are not always this good - its often pasta salad or sandwiches, this was a change. Sometimes a simple roll with cheese and chutney is welcome, I am hoping to make some of them soon with homemade chutney from last year which has to be used.

      Delete
  3. That's a lovely way to use marrow and I am a big fan of Manchego. Love the fact that you have wrapped the whole lot in a pithivier..... Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate. I have one more marrow left which I want to enjoy with goats cheese.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for participating in MLLA Shaheen. Mentioned you in the event round up

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You