Monday, 3 July 2017

A little bit of Australia in my kitchen

In my kitchen are some Australian gifts which come courtesy of Johanna who blogs over at Green Gourmet Giraffe.  

Johanna was one of the first bloggers I got to know when I started blogging and although we have never met, I feel like we have become good friends.
Laying on top of the Australian tea-towel are all my foodie gifts.  first some Outback Spirit Tasmanian Pepper Salt and a souvenir Australian dollars notebook - all of which I will use as bookmarks for my many cookbooks.  This idea of Australian dollar bookmarks got me thinking as to how many vegetarian or vegan cookbooks I have that are from Australian cooks and chefs? Perhaps Johanna can name me some other than Amy Chaplin and Kurma Dasa, as I am really not that sure. Or perhaps this can be a future blog post for her, if she wishes to accept.  
I am proper excited to try these Vegemite Bagel Crisps and look forward to ripping the bag open when I return home from my short holiday. 
Crafted Blends Greens, Pumpkin Seed, Spinach and Chickpeas has me curious as it sounds like a savoury bar.  The Milo protein clusters made me smile.  Johanna mentioned that Milo products are a little sentimental to her as it reminds her of her childhood.  
Some golden apricot bites and a couple of interesting bars: Apricot and a Cacao and Orange. I have not tried any of these yet, but as I have alluded above we will be away for a short break, driving to our destination tomorrow for a few days - so all these treat bars will be consumed on our road trip and I may up-date this blog post on my return for those curious as to how these Australian treats taste.
I do like my herbal teas so look forward to trying this Dandy Chai Blend with Roasted Dandelion Root
And spices.  Johanna on her blog has mentioned Herbie's Spices many times, so I was pretty chuffed to find these in the cotton tote bag (featured above).  Lemon Myrtle Leaf and Balmain & Rozelle Spice Blend, neither of which I have ever used.  I had heard of Lemon Myrtle, but not Balmain & Rozelle Spice Blend, but on a little bit more digging I learned that this spice blend was created to celebrate Australian broad food heritage.  I will be using it very soon as a marinade for a Summer vegetable bake, unless some of my Australian readers can give me recipe suggestions to use both spice blends.
I was also sent a chocolate bar of Freddo frog - one of Australia's popular children characters but with the hot weather got to him an d was more melty the frog, but I did still enjoy it with a cuppa tea.  Thank you so  much Johanna for your warmth, kindness and generosity.  

I am sharing this with Sherry Pickings for In My Kitchen series.  its one of my favourite blog events and one I have encouraged other fellow bloggers to join in too as its a way I could have a good cheeky nosy not only into their kitchen, but other peoples kitchen too, please do join in. 

20 comments:

  1. Lots of nice stuff, glad you are enjoying it, sorry the chocolate melted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks e, the chocolate was still good.

      :)

      Delete
  2. Got to love how the Internet can connect people from either side of a planet. That said, I hope you are countering the vegemite with the superior marmite product? 😉 I love the Australian Masterchef series that is currently running... One day it may become more veggie...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Ray, I have met many lovely fellow bloggers - but sadly many of the ones I conversed with in the early days on blogosphere have stopped blogging, perhaps because the blogging world has changed - and it has, way too many pr bloggers for cash can be oppressive, I steer clear of those blogs these days as it can become unpleasant as its very competitive re ranking and blog hits. Yes, I am more committed to marmite, but its always good to try other competing products just to compare likes and dislikes. I do also like Australian masterchef as I think the amateurs are more than just amateurs and show a lot of innovative cooking, but i have not watched the recent show as i cannot get it. Yes, one day - it may do a veggie version that will embrace both vegan and vegetarian food.

      Delete
  3. Look at all your lovely Aussie things shaheen. That one dollar bookmark is fun. Vegemite crisps? How interesting Always good to see our national emblems kangaroo and koala and kookaburra. Thanks for joining in IMK this month

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherry. I am def. enjoying my Australian gifts.

      Delete
  4. Hope you are enjoying your trip away. Glad you enjoyed your food package - and I love how you have used the teatowel for the photos. I hope you will like the bagel crisps - we buy them from time to time and always wolf them down. I also really like the emma and toms brand - they do some really nice juices as well as bars (which are a bit like lara bars and nak'd bars). I love the idea of using the money notes for bookmarks. As for Aussie veg*n cookbook authors, there are a few - Leigh Drew has some lovely cookbooks, and for a really modern one, though a little cheffy, see if you can check out the Smith and Daughters cookbook - it is an amazing vegan Melbourne Cafe. There is also a nice veg one from Aussie tv chef Simon Bryant. And all the Australian Women's Weekly ones (one of my first veg cookbooks was AWW)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna.
      I have returned home and had a good break, though i have come home to lots of housework. I must confess I did not take anything with me on the trip as the weather was stifling and I did not want foodstuffs suffering, but I am planning to enjoy some of these goodies this month and will let you know how I find them. I do remember you mentioning Smith and Daughters cookbook, its on my wishlist. And I will check out Simon Bryant, not heard of him, like you I do have some AWW publications, thank you.

      Delete
  5. Some very interesting things in your kitchen, especially those bagel crisps :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes those bagel crisps have my name all over it.

      Delete
  6. It's always strange that vegemite and marmite have not become popular outside the UK and Australia. We used to love it on toast as a snack when I was a kid. My mother used to bring it back from England when she went to visit her parents. Thanks for the glimpse into your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, your completely right and when they do cross over due to a promo ad. its always a novelty thing, rather than appreciation.

      Delete
  7. I'd love to taste the vegemite bagel crisps!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you, yes I am quite excited by the vegemite bagel crisps

      Delete
  8. What a delightful selection from the lovely Johanna - I loved seeing all of these and the flash of Australiana in your corner of Wales! I hope you continue to enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeedy, I have been spoiled by her. I have had the spinach bar which was quite interesting and a little intriguing, I did was pleasant but a little odd as it was sweet as I was sort of expecting it to be a little on the savoury side. I also had the apricot bar which was very sugary that it overwhelmed the apricot. I have also ripped open the Tasmanian pepper salt for a frittata, it was good - not vegan i'm afraid.

      Delete
  9. A lot of great stuff here. I especially like the tea towels, of course as a tea towel fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, The tea towel is really neat.

      Delete
  10. Bagel crisps are fantastic, our boys love them! So many lovely Aussie food goodies. Sorry about the chocolate melting. It's that time of year here too which bums me since ordering fancy chocolates is always a fun treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gretchen, I had to cut into the bag as it was too hard to rip into over the w/e, and enjoyed it. But I am going to do a double whammy with the remaining and stir some vegemite into cream cheese and top them further for this evening as I have half a bag left.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You