Monday, 11 September 2017

Changing Colours of My Seasonal Harvest

I promised regular blog readers last week that I would share a photograph of the tall Russian Giant Sunflower in my garden, I have fibbed.  I will, just it was hard to take a photograph with the gusty winds bashing the sunflowers from side to side and then came the pouring rain.  I will try again for you all next week and perhaps by then there will be more sunflowers growing from the offshoots on its side.   

I do have some shiny shiny fruits and vegetables to share wiht you though.  
Some tasty strawberries and a bowl full of tomatoes
Red Apples from the neigbours in exchange for some plums.  He described these as Cider Apples.  Last year I used them in cake, may do so again this year.  



The Courgettes are dwindling, being replaced by marrows and Sunburst Patty Pan Squash which have been very welcome.  I have grown them in pots this year and they have mostly been coming along nicely, but the slugs have got to many.
More plums, this may be my last photograph of plums this season as many fell to the earth yesterday with the strong gusty winds, but I cannot grumble as I got my fair share to make cakes and preserve some in jams and chutneys, as well as share some with family, friends and neighbours.
A tray of maincrop potatoes, unlike the Earlies harvested a couple of weeks back that were not very nice, these have been fantastic for mashing, and I am not a mash person and even I have enjoyed them.  What have you harvested this weekend?!

I  am sharing this with  Harvest Monday hosted by Dave over Our Happy Acres.  

10 comments:

  1. I love your harvest photos. You inspire me to want to up my gardening game, albeit without the space to grow this much! You have a beautiful yield and I Look forward to seeing the sunflower when the weather is kinder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I did not have a garden plot for a long time Kari, it was an allotment plot and at home window pots first, then postage size space in flat, then allotment plot and now at home - not as big as an allotment plot, but its mine and I am happy. I hope you get the green space oneday, maybe when mini bite is ready to get her mitts muddy. Hopefully the winds have not battered the sunflower...

      Delete
  2. Beautiful fruits and veggies. The pleated tomatoes are especially pretty. The rain doesn't spoil them or did you harvest them before the rain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle. Yes they are and they were fantastic on a tart too. The tomatoes are growing in a greenhouse,but i fear blight is not far away are creeping in slowly

      Delete
  3. It looks like it's been a great year for plums for you. And the swap for apples sounds like a great idea. I would swap one of my pumpkins but nobody around me gardens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. Yes, plenty of plums! Shame I'd swap you some plums for pumpkins :)

      Delete
  4. Lovely and colourful even without the sunflowers! I wonder if they'll be standing long enough to get the promised photo ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Belinda, yes the wind and rain are def. giving the sunflowers a bashing, you will get a picture - but perhaps not one of a graceful sunflower, perhaps one hanging its head down in shame

      Delete
  5. Beautiful colours. I do love autumnal produce, but this is making me mourn the end of summer and all its fruit and veg glories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, its my favourite season too. Summer...what summer - we have had plenty of rain this year. Yeah - I will miss it a little, esp.the fruit and veg like you. My seasonal plums are nearly all gone and so are the courgettes now.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You