Wednesday, 16 August 2017

Old Fashioned Zucchini - Courgette Balls

Vegetable based or bean based 'meatballs' fall out of the limelight all the time as they are deemed old fashion, but give it another name and its Amazing... 

This way of making vegetarian meatballs with mashed beans, shredded vegetables, fresh herbs, cheese and binded with both breadcrumbs and egg can be found in many old cookbooks from the 1960s to the 1990s.
And now even in new cookbooks.  Except there is a difference.


Gussy it up a little by adapting and modernising these vegetable balls further with trendy beans or lentils like Puy lentils,spices like zaatar or sumac and whipped up feta cheese and then call it 'airy fairy cloud balls' and pretend you have created a new innovative recipe.  Give yourself a pat on the back and marvel at your genius.
I won't be doing that, I have been making old fashioned 'mush and mash it up' vegetable and bean based 'meatballs' for as long as I have been cooking.  

Most of the vegetable meatball recipes that I have been making have been inspired by cookbooks written by Queen of vegetarian cuisine in the UK Rose Elliot, who sadly seems to  have fallen out of favour with people following so-called hip trendsetters, but most trends are rooted in the past and people have really short memories. 
I am sharing these bite sized Courgette morsels with Treat Petite hosted by The Baking Explorer and CakeyBoi as they can be served as part of a finger buffet. To cook, either pan fry in a little olive oil, or spray some oil over them and bake in the oven until crisp. Eat immediately.

5 comments:

  1. These look great. I have owned both editions of Rose Elliott's Complete Vegetarian cooking books - the first I ended up giving to my mother and the second went into a charity bag of cook books this week. Too many books, and there is a sadness to a book that never gets opened. I hope whoever buys it gets the joy of her home cooking. I still have a battered copy of her 1998 Vegan Feasts book which shows she was a bit of a trendsetter herself as vegan cookbooks were still in their infancy and she was a big name in vegetarian cooking. Reading Vegan Feasts tonight brought back so many memories, living in Oxfordshire, visiting my first Living Without Cruelty event, that recipe for tahini dip, the Benjamin Zephaniah poem (I was working on a children's mental health ward and he had popped in to visit one of the patients who had written to him. Years later I bumped into her at a vegan event, she looked well) Rose Elliott was a true pioneer. Who else was writing about pulses in the seventies? 🙂
    Life is good with za'ata and sumac. I think Anna Jones is the Rose Elliott of our age. discuss. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look good and I do love a recipe that involves mashing and mushing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good on you for keeping the memories alive - it sometimes seems that it is not in the interests of food writers to make connections with our past, which makes me sad. I have quite a lot of Rose Elliot's cookbooks. She was one of my first veg heroes and I still love her and am interested that she continues to be a food writer today. I love these sort of "meatballs" (cheatballs is my latest fave word for them) but then get into a quandry because so many fun ways to serve them - I always want the energy to do meatballs on spaghetti

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound delicious, I would love to try them! Don't know if I'm being blind or not, but where is the recipe? Thanks for linking up to #TreatPetite too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So long to prepare (I need a BIG bunch with the kids!) and soooooo delicious!!!!

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You