Sunday, 11 June 2017

Savoury Cherry Tomato, Paprika Mozzarella Muffins

I had a sudden yearning for savoury scones and I blame Johanna who blogs over at Green Gourmet Giraffe for this as she has been making and baking savoury muffins in her Melbourne home.  
Also, we picked up a big block of mozzarella for panini and I have been wondering what to do with the rest, so this is the first of mozzarella recipes to come....or perhaps not, that is if we use it up for more homemade panini's.
When I bit into the muffin, the scent of the spices, mostly the smoked paprika hit my face.  The flavour is almost pizza like.  I also loved the colours, the lipstick red from the cherry tomatoes was eye popping and the greens from the spring onions a little frazzled from the bake and if you look closely you can see the creamy melt from the mozzarella cheese.

We did not finish these Savoury Cherry Tomato, Paprika and Mozzarella Muffins on the day as the recipe makes a dozen.  
Look I am greedy, but even I cannot eat half a dozen.  However, we did polish them off  over three days.  I took mine into work and gave it a few seconds burst in the microwave for warmth.  It made for a change from a sweet muffins and flapjacks. 

I am sharing the Savoury  Cherry Tomato, Paprika Mozzarella Muffins with Treat Petite hosted by The Baking Explorer and CakeyBoi.; and CookBlog Share; hosted by  Hijacked By TwinsEasy Peasy Foodie and Recipes Made Easy.



Savoury Mozzarella Muffins
Makes 12
Ingredients
2eggs
100ml milk
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chilli flakes
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
4 spring onions, sliced
200g mozzarella, cubed
275g plin flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
12 cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
Method
Whisk eggs in a bowl, then stir in all the ingredients except for the flour and baking powder and cherry tomatoes.
Then sift in the flour and baking powder and stir carefully to combine.
Distribute between the 12 muffin cases, topped with 1 whole cherry tomato that has been sliced. 
Bake at gas mark 4/180oc for 20 - 25 minutes or until risen and golden.
Best enjoyed on the day, but good for up to 3 days.
Adapted from here


14 comments:

  1. We enjoyed savoury muffins in NZ...served hot,with butter,just like the sweet muffins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you approve of these then, I am hoping to make more with different veg.

      Delete
  2. This is just what I wish I had for breakfast - sound delicious and they do look gorgeous with the tomatoes - glad to inspire a few more savoury muffins as the world needs more of them :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Johanna - you always inspire me x
      The world def. needs more savoury muffins, i hope to make more this year.

      Delete
  3. Pizza in a muffin...Nice for a light lunch or dinner with a salad or some fruit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks e. Def be good with salad.

      :D

      Delete
  4. Oooh yum! Great muffin recipe...now I've got a yearning for savoury muffins!! :-D Thanks for linking up with #CookBlogShare! Eb x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is tempting, I wish there was no egg, can you suggest any replacement for egg ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sadhna. You could try substituting the egg with vegan 'flax egg' - google it if you have not used it before.

      Delete
  6. These look so yummy! I love Savoury Muffins! Thanks for linking up to #TreatPetite

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of pizza flavoured muffins! These sound delicious and it's lovely to see savoury muffins for a change. I have made some in the past but I don't often think of making them until I see a post like this and it's always good to be inspired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Corina, I love when bloggers inspire.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You