Wednesday, 17 May 2017

Simple Curly Kale and White Bean Soup

I am thankful for the rain as the garden has been dry and wanting of water from the skies, but c'mon   - enough already.  

I am hoping the weekend is dry as we have made some plans, so I guess I should really be saying bring it on now, but then please give us a break.
I made this Curly Kale and White Beans Soup over the weekend with what we had in the house as I wasn't feeling adventurous. 
Its nothing special, yet variations of this Curly Kale and White Beans Soup has featured on many a blog and many a cookbook, but it made for a nice change from a smoother soup with its chunky vegetable and crinkly soft greens. 
I am sharing this Curly Kale and White Bean Soup with Soups, Salads and Sammies hosted by Kahakai Kitchen and No Croutons Required hosted by Lisa's Vegetarian Kitchen and Tinned Tomatoes. 



Simple Curly Kale and White Beans Soup 
Serves 4 generously
Ingredients 2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, finely minced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 carrot, half moon
1 fat leek, sliced
2 celery sticks, sliced
Sprig of fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf
1 pint vegetable stock
100g kale, shredded
1 x 400g white beans, drained and rinsed
Method
In a wide pan, heat oil, then stir in the onion and garlic and saute until translucent. 
Then stir in the leeks, carrots and celery and cook for 10 minutes or until beginning to soften, before stirring in the thyme and bay leaf.  
Cook for a couple of minutes, before stirring in the kale  and stock. 
Bring to the boil , then reduce heat and allow to simmer and cook until the kale is soft.
Finally stir in the beans, taste and adjust seasoning.  
Simmer for a few more minutes for the beans to warm through.  
Serve when ready to eat.  

12 comments:

  1. This looks perfect for rainy weather. I hope you do get a break from the rain to enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you e.
      Fingers crossed - rain is predicted :(

      Delete
  2. It has definitely been soup weather this week! I have had so many loads of washing gone wrong with heavy downpours when I didn`t think it would rain :P This looks like a delicious match to the weather at any rate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it has Kari. Today though, I had a warm salad.

      It rains a lot in Wales, so we have invested in a tumble dryer, but we do have a washing line and yes, the heavy downpours have caught us out a few times.

      Delete
  3. The soup looks very good. I should also make a chunky vegetable soup for a change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes only chunky soup will do

      Delete
  4. I have lived off this kind of soup for years. Simple yet delicious with a hunk of bread 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, simple and delicious and very versatile - absolutely will a good hunk of bread.

      Delete
  5. Simple soups like this are always a favorite. Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays at Kahakai Kitchen this week. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had me at simple! I love reading a recipe and finding I already have the ingredients on hand. It makes it that much easier for me to want to try it out. And it sounds delicious and warming.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You