Friday, 26 May 2017

Rose Elliot's Bloody Mary Jelly (vegan)

Apparently it is British Tomato Week.
I am a little surprised as my greenhouse seedling specimens are not even the length of my hands and those that I picked up from a garden nursery have only just begun to flower.  I guess other parts of the country, tomatoes are thriving under poly tunnels.  Not in this part of Wales, where on days I am still wearing layers.
I had originally bookmarked to make Bloody Mary Jelly around the Christmas or New Year festivities, but  then thought, what is wrong with now?!  Oh and before you read any further, I must highlight that this Bloody Mary Jelly is made with a carton of tomato juice picked up for a different recipe, but never did and noted over the weekend that it was reaching its best before date.



The recipe for Bloody Mary Jelly comes from the British Empress of Vegetarian Cooking - Rose Elliot.  Many of the modern vegetarian and vegan cookbooks appearing on our shelves in the UK will have been influenced by Rose Elliot, whether they choose to admit it or not is another thing.  

Rose Elliot was one of the first vegetarian British food writers that I ever came across and I probably have more cookbooks from Rose Elliot than any other, well why not she has written over 60 vegetarian and vegan cookbooks.
Back to this Bloody Mary Jelly.  I did not use Tabasco, I find it harsh.  I ended up using a hot chili sauce called Electric Mud that I picked up from the Cardiff's Riverside Food Market in Cardiff by Chris Fowler.  Potent stuff, a little goes a long long way. 

These Bloody Mary Jelly's were  well impressive and would definitely be welcome at a table when you want to impress guests.  They're best made not too far ahead and kept in a cool place rather than the fridge. Also these are set with a vegetarian gelatin, Vege-Gel, which you can get from most supermarkets in the UK and if you didn't know, Bloody Mary's contain vodka., so only suitable for grown ups.  
Other Fresh Tomato Recipes 
Tomato Recipes
Fresh Tomato Lasagne
Tomato, Strawberry and Puy Lentil Curry
Oven Baked Tomato and Rosemary Risotto
Harissa Tomato Potatoes with Black Pudding
Red Rice Tomato Salad with Pomegranate Dressing
Cherry Tomato Tart

I am sharing this Bloody Mary Jellies CookBlogShare hosted by Every Day Healthy Recipes.


Bloody Mary Jellies
This recipe can be vegan if you use non-dairy horseradish sauce and soya cream.
Ingredients
Serves 4
400ml tomato juice
1 teaspoon Vege-Gel
1½ tablespoon freshly-squeezed lemon juice
4-6 tablespoon vodka
2 tablespoon vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
½ teaspoon hot chili sauce
2 tablespoon each finely chopped raw onion, celery and green pepper
1 tablespoon vegan horseradish sauce
3 tablespoon soya cream or single cream
Method
Salt and freshly ground black pepper Put the tomato juice in a saucepan, slowly scatter the Vege-Gel on top and stir until dissolved. Bring to the boil, remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice, vodka, Worcester sauce,  hot chili sauce and season. Divide the chopped vegetables between four small bowls or glasses. Pour the jelly on top and leave to set. Cool until required, but don't refrigerate. To serve, mix the horseradish with the cream and swirl some over the top of each jelly. 
Adapted from Rose Elliot Veggie Chic or you can find the recipe in The Guardian when Rose Elliot was a contributor .

6 comments:

  1. I love rose elliot and have a few of her books - I discovered her around when I went veg 25 years ago but by then I had some Sarah Brown and Australian Women's Weekly cookbooks so I guess it was one of the first I had.

    The jelly looks impressive but a bit too much tomato for me - I love food with tomato in it but still the idea of just munching on a tomato is challenging but I would no doubt enjoy tasting it just for the novelty. And yours look superb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Sarah Brown cookbooks too, but I discovered those when I went to Uni.

      My husband loves tomatoes, hence the reason we like growing them at home, he was not mad about this Jelly though, which surprised me.

      Delete
  2. This is such an interesting idea, a combination of veg, spice and vodka in a semi-solid form would be ideal for a bbq party - takes care of the salad and the drink! Thank you for bringing it to #CookBlogShare:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monika. Yes it would be good for a party.

      Delete
  3. This looks absolutely wonderful, and I wouldn't have thought that it's the British tomato week now! Seems a bit early, it's chillier here today as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, i think its a bit strange to be celebrating tomatoes this time of the year, but if that is when some parts of the industry want to celebrate it then ...they will. We will wait till we find some local ones grown a lot more closer to home!

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You