Monday, 10 April 2017

Marrow Curd Pistachio Cake

Over the weekend, I was going  through my larder, well its not really a larder I pretend it is.  Its just space under the stairs where I store excess things mostly from the kitchen as space in the kitchen comes at a premium, so things like my Kitchenaid Food Processor and Kitchen Aid Artisan Mixer (both Birthday presents from D many years back) live under the stairs.  As I was fumbling about I came across the box that contained loads of homemade jars of preserves, jams and chutneys that I made last year including a Marrow Curd.  

I decided to approach the jar of Marrow Curd in the way I would approach Lemon Curd, so this cake is really a Lemon Pistachio cake with the lemon curd substituted with homemade marrow curd.
I guess you can make this Marrow Curd Pistachio Cake with other fancy pants curds like blackberry curd, strawberry curd, clementine curd, banana curd and many others  - experiment, but then make sure you match the fruit or vegetable curd with a nut that compliments it.
This Marrow Curd Pistachio Cake was delicious, I mean really delicious.  If you look close at the above photograph, you will see a thin line of the marrow curd.    I just wish the green from the pistachio nuts came through too, but it certainly did in flavour.  


Marrow Curd Pistachio Cake
Serves 8 - 12
Ingredients
125g pistachio nuts, shelled
150g soft butter
150g golden caster sugar
150g self raising flour
60g ground almonds
2 free range eggs
Juice of 1 lemon
240g - 280g marrow curd or lemon curd (or other curd)
Icing Sugar
Method
Preheat the oven to gas mark 4/180oc.
In a food processor, grind 100g pistachio nuts.  
Roughly chop the remainder and keep aside.
Then add in the soft butter, sugar, flour. ground almond and whizz to combine.
Then crack in the egg one at a time until well combined, then finally add in the lemon juice and whizz for a final time, 
Scrape half of the mixture into the base of your tin and smooth it out with a spatula.
Then splodge over the marrow curd avoiding the edge.
Then cover with the remainder of the batter.
Evenly distribute the roughly chopped left over pistachio nuts on top.
Bake in oven for 45 - 55 minutes or until golden brown.
Allow the cake to cool before removing from tin and slicing.

8 comments:

  1. First I had to look up 'marrow' to see if it was what I thought it was. When I saw the picture of the vegetable, I had to look up 'marrow curd' — and then it all made sense! The cake looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Andrea, I should not assume that all my readers know what Marrow is and then marrow curd - but I guess like you, if they are curious they will read a little more and learn a little more. By the way the Marrow Curd is vegan, so you can have a go at making your own. There was an old recipe in an old cookbook originally, but its obviously been passed on and evolved
    One large marrow,
    3 large lemons,
    2 lb sugar.

    Cut up marrow into small chunks, steam until its mushy. Put into saucepan with the sugar and juice of the lemons. Heat up slowly till sugar has melted, then bring to the boil and stirring constantly until it thickens like jam. Put into warm jars and when cool store in fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that sounds really delicious and as I am not such a big lemon fan I would much prefer marrow curd in my cake - and I am a little jealous of your storage under the stairs - our house is sorely lacking in storage space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna. Yes I do remember you mentioning lack of storage space in yours, though I do have space under the stairs it never seems enough.

      Delete
  4. That cake looks amazing Shaheen. Moist and delicious! Never made curd with marrow before either..... but then I am always full of wonder when I visit your blog! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate, it really was a good one. I have been making some good cakes recently, quite pleased with myself as its not my strong point. Do try marrow curd if you find yourself with one this year, so interesting

      Delete
  5. I am so intrigued by this, not least because I have never had marrow curd on its own, never mind in a cake. What a wonderful recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari. Do try to make marrow curd if you can - the recipe is vegan - please see first comment.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You