Monday, 24 April 2017

Garden Plot in the Spotlight

After three years of moving  into our new home, I have neglected the garden plot.  Every time I went out, my heart sunk for different reasons and I seemed to have fallen out of love with gardening and growing my own vegetables. 

However, this year will be different.  I said that last year and the year before, but this time really it will be different as progress has been made.  
But before I share progress in my garden plot, I am partly writing this post to coincide with Harvest Monday with my offering of overwintering Rainbow Swiss Chard from the garden. I used some of it early in the month for a Black Bean Chile, this however will be used for a quick Indian style vegetable curry.  Also by joining in with Harvest Monday, I am hoping my love for growing vegetables will be reignited.



Various courgettes
The greenhouse is spilling with seedlings.  I have had to halt my seed sowing as there is a lack of space and weather forecast of frost 
Ruby Red Chard
Kohlrabi
Various Tomato Seedlings



Peas and Salad Leaves
If your interested in what I am growing this year, click here to see my list which I will up-date on a fortnightly basis.
Strawberry Patch



Flowering Strawberries
Raspberry Canes
 The raspberry and gooseberry bushes are lowering, so is the Plum tree (not shown here). 

 You won't l know it, but here are two lines of potatoes.
Next patch of land is clear and ready to welcome the new recruits from courgettes to broad beans and peas.
 A little more digging here to do to clear the weeds and then this will be ready for brassicas.
This is the back of the garden plot.  I have dug out the raspberry canes here and put seating there, so we can sit and look down at the garden plot.
And finally, this rhubarb is fattening, but I plan to harvest some at the weekend and share it with you for next  weeks  Harvest Monday which is hosted by Dave over Our Happy Acres

21 comments:

  1. Yes! Get growing again :-) But maybe wait till this little return to Winter has passed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Belinda. Yes I am waiting for sure sign of wintry weather to pass - we had hail today!

      Delete
  2. It looks like you have gotten a lot done in your garden! I am falling behind with my chores, but it is still early in the season. I am skipping potatoes this year, though I will miss the tender new ones for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Dave. We only chose to do potatoes this year as we know they don't need much tending to, but if I was on top of it, i too would have given them a miss.

      Delete
  3. Looks like your fingers are going green again! It can be disheartening after a wet year. Don't forget to mulch that bare earth.
    I'm hoping that the cold hasn't wiped out our garden in Scotland..we return from NZ a week on Friday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so gz. You know what I was like when I started this blog, hence its name - but not so much these days, hope to get back there. Thanks for the advice, yes need to mulch the earth. I do hope your garden in Scotland is fine, it has been snowing there you know. But at the same time, hope you are enjoying NZ.

      Delete
    2. We're enjoying it..of course now we have another batch of good weather we are racing on an indoor velodrome!!

      Delete
  4. I hope you get your gardening mojo back this year. I'm so addicted to garden fresh veggies that I can't quit growing them. But no doubt, it's a lot of hard work and there's always something going wrong. But those fresh veggies... sigh. Good luck. It looks like you're off to a good start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Michelle. I used to be addicted too, the flavour of homegrown cannot be compared to supermarket veg.

      Delete
  5. Well Done! You have made great progress and I know you will find your love of gardening once again. You are such an amazing cook, and how fun will it be to use some of your own Veg! Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear from you Lexa, when I get a comment from you it makes my day. Do hope your well. Thank you so much for your wonderful and warm comment, just what I need to lift me up after a really crappy day at the office.

      Delete
  6. Wow, that is wonderful. I remember your allotment...I hope the weather doesn't freeze these plantings. Good luck with this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much e. Yes, I know you are one of my longtime readers and you know of the history too. The seedlings are in the greenhouse at the moment, waiting for the cold snap to go, then some will be put in the ground.

      Delete
  7. good luck with your gardening - you always seem to have lots from the garden so I think even with your heart not in gardening you grow a lot more than me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna. I know I do get some crop from my garden even when I am not tending to it, the chard being one of course and fruits like raspberries, strawberries and plums. I am fortunate this time to have a little more growing space, so hope to slowly slowly make the most of it.

      Delete
  8. It's looking good, very good. And now that you have sprung into action you'll soon be addicted to growing your own again.

    Happy sowing and planting. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue. Yes some progress. i do hope that the momentum continues.

      Delete
  9. Lots of us take breaks from gardening, sometimes other things take precedence and moving can really shake things up. It looks like you're getting lots of seeding and planting done, so wonderful. Hopefully it will warm up soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Phuong, your comment means a lot and is very encouraging. Yes, hope it will warm up too - we have had frost and ice to scrape off the car most mornings, so pleased the tender plants are not in the ground yet

      Delete
  10. You're gardening is amazing Shaheen! You have so many things on the go, I truly admire that about you =)
    There is no shame in falling out of love with something for awhile, I feel that's just part of our make up. It makes it that much more sweet when we fall back in love with it again.
    I have never been in love with gardening... I fear I never will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kimmy. You are really kind. The garden was much neglected this week because of the weather and things in the greenhouse screaming out come you, hopefully i will make up for it this w/e with the weather predicted to be good.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You