Wednesday, 8 March 2017

Upside Down Sicilian Blood Orange Chocolate Cake

This Upside Down Sicilian Blood Orange Chocolate Cake is my second Sicilian Blood Orange recipe.  This cake, like the gluten free Blood Orange Almond Cake was also very delicious and I say that with a bit of surprise.  

Why? 

Well for those of you who know me now, will know that I don't really do sweet cakes, and I don't go gaga or doolally tap for chocolate either.  I am drawn more towards savoury eats and treats, but my man, my husband has a very sweet tooth - be it for cakes or chocolate.  He likes them both but not always together.
This cake was wonderfully moist on the first day.  A couple of days later the chocolate sponge had got a bit cold and stiff, but it was still very good.  I think it is best served at room temperature too.  

I especially loved the Blood Orange topping and the orange caramelised and became both sticky and chewy.  We enjoyed the cake without cream, but it could benefit with you are that way inclined.
I am sharing this Upside Down Blood Orange Chocolate Cake with We Should Cocoa Challenge; and Simple and In Season hosted by Feeding Boys ; and Hijacked by Twins for CookBlog Share; and Simply Seasonal and Good Egg Foodie.



Upside Down Blood Orange Chocolate Cake
Makes 8 - 12 slices.
Ingredients
270g unsalted butter
130g demerara sugar
2 teaspoon fresh blood orange juice
2-3 blood oranges, peeled and sliced thinly

200g golden caster sugar
4 free range eggs

100ml double cream

180g plain flour
65g cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
Pinch of fine salt
Method
Preheat oven to gas mark 5/200oc
Grease a 9 inch round pan (put a foil under the baking pan - not necessary, but may be worth doing to avoid leakage)

In a pan, melt 45g butter with all of the demerara sugar and blood orange juice.
Then transfer to the round baking tin.
Arrange orange on top of the melted brown sugar mixture in a single layer and as snug as you can.

In a  pan, melt the remaining butter, then remove from the heat and whisk in the caster sugar and when cool beat in the eggs one at a time, then finally stir in the double cream.

Then in a large bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
Then carefully pour the batter over the layered blood orange slices.
Bake for 45 minutes to an hour or until golden on top and a toothpick comes out clean.
Allow the cake to cook, before removing it from the tin.
Run a palette knife along the edges, then invert it onto a platter.
Adapted from here. 

24 comments:

  1. This looks delicious, I've always wanted to try blood orange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kat, hopefully you will get your hands on some whilst they are still in season

      Delete
  2. Yet another great blood orange recipe, looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you VegHog. It really is good. Enjoying a slice right now!

      Delete
  3. Mmm what a beautiful cake, the effect from the blood orange slices is so impressive! I bet it tasted gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lucy. Yes the effect from the blood oranges does give the cake the edge, it really is a good cake to eat. We are still enjoying it - a slice at a time.

      Delete
  4. This must be good if it draws you to chocolate ;) It certainly looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks and sound delish! I do so love blood oranges, shame the season is so short. Then again that's what makes them special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jacqueline. Yes, indeed that is what makes them special, but we better be quick if we want to enjoy them - fresh or in a cake!

      Delete
  6. Oh wow Shaheen this cake looks amazing! I love blood oranges and I need to have this cake in my life! Thank you for sharing with both #CookBlogShare and #SimplySeasonal x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kirsty. I was well impressed when I removed the base from the top revealing the stainless glassy effect of the blood oranges, it was delicious to boot too.

      Delete
  7. That looks amazing Shaheen, I love the idea of cooking the sliced oranges as a layer under the cake. I bet it tasted amazing too, it's one of my favourite flavour combos.
    Angela x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela.I am pleased with it. It was really an amazing cake.

      Delete
  8. Gosh looks so amazing - I could eat some RIGHT now -blood oranges are not just lovely to each they are sooooo pretty Cx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you Clare.
      This cake was really delicious, but i agree blood oranges are lovely as they are too.

      Delete
  9. Holy moly girl - that is a gorgeous cake!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think blood oranges were made for an upside down cake - it shows them off perfectly. This looks delicious, I must try and find some before they run out of season.
    Thanks for linking up with #DesertIslandDish too xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, its nice to discover the challenge. I hope you find some blood oranges whilst they are still available in the UK

      Delete
  11. Haha, you do make me laugh Shaheen. You keep telling me you don't like chocolate and then you keep making chocolate recipes. Thank goodness for your husband and long may it continue. Making an upside down cake with the oranges is such a good idea. I made a blood orange chocolate cake which tastes fantastic, but the only colour to see was chocolate. Thanks for sharing with #WeShouldCocoa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I really did enjoy making and eating this cake. And its been very popular with readers.

      Guess what I have another entry ready to go for #WeShouldCocoa, I kept it back so I could join in.

      Delete
  12. Thanks for joining up with Simple and in Season - this bake looks absolutely gorgeous - I love how glossy it is :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Katie. It was a delicious cake.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You