Tuesday, 14 March 2017

Turmeric Risotto with Preserved Lemons and Green Olives

I know what your thinking Olives for dinner , but this Turmeric Risotto has more than just olives, it also has preserved lemons.
The late Karen Hubert Allison, cookbook Author of The Vegetarian Compass was so right when she wrote All roads to Preserved Lemons lead to Paula Wolfert classic cookbook Couscous and Other Good Foods From Morocco (1973) and who am I to disagree.

I sometimes make my own Preserved Lemons, but there is nothing wrong with picking up a jar of ready made, there are quite a few good brands about.  
I was inspired to make this Turmeric Risotto with Preserved Lemons and Green Olives a little while back when I had limited fresh vegetables in my home, much of what went into this was store cupboard ingredients or those often found in my fridge.  I had picked up a packet or organic tempeh the last time I went into the city.   The tempeh served almost like crispy croutons and made for an interesting contrast against the soft rice grains. 
Adapted from The Vegetarian Compass by the late Karen Hubert Allison.

8 comments:

  1. That looks like such a good combination...

    ~Have a lovely day!

    PS...love the new header!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teresa, it made for an interesting change indeed.

      Delete
  2. You've just given me an idea about how to cook the Tempeh at mine...Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :)
      Its an ingredient I am still hesitant about, some days I like it - others not so much.

      Delete
  3. Given my turmeric kick, I think this sounds great - and looks beautiful too. I need to experiment more with preserved lemons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari. We often have preserved lemons in the house the accompany Moroccan dishes, but need to think a little more out of the box when using them otherwise forgotten about.

      Delete
  4. This looks delicious - I had preserved lemons for ages and ages and finally got rid of them as they were taking up valuable fridge real estate for very few recipes but now I wish I had some for this risotto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna, It made for a change. As i said to Kari above, we have preserved lemons in the house the accompany Moroccan dishes, but need to think a little more out of the box when using them otherwise forgotten or eventually binned - a bit like you I guess.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You