Wednesday, 1 February 2017

Vegetarian Greek Cypriot Shepherds Pie with Feta Cheese Mint Mash

A photograph taken in poor lighting on a dark evening.

This is a generous serving of homemade vegetarian Greek Cypriot Shepherds Pie with Feta Cheese. 
I have mentioned my Greek flat mates at University and my holidays in Cyprus, this is me just harping back to those days and yearning for the warm climate, especially on a day like today when it has been raining all day.  In fact it has been raining non stop for the past 5 days.  

I am not the best potato masher and D was not around to help, so I my did my best with my weakling muscles.  There were still lumps in the potato topping, but thankfully I don't mind lumps and nor does D. The mint in the mashed potato topping was just right, the black olives offered piquancy . This Greek Cypriot Shepherds Pie made for a change from the traditional Vegetarian Shepherds Pie that I so often make at home. 
I am sharing this with CookBlogShare hosted by Hijacked by Twins. ; and Cook Once Eat Twice hosted by Searching For Spice. 

I've also made a Prasopita, a Greek Leek Pie, adapted from the Greek Gourmand, but I am holding that back for St David's Day. Instead, here is a link to some other Greek and/or Cypriot inspired recipes on A2K  - A Seasonal Veg Table
Spanakopita
Tomato and Feta Cheese Baklava
Vegan Spanakopita Pies
Vegetarian Pastitcio



Greek Cypriot Shepherds Pie with Feta Cheese Mint Mash 
Serves 6 - 8 generously
Ingredients
200g TVP reconstituted and then drained of excess liquid. Set aside

2 - 3 tablespoons olive oil
2- 3 medium onion, minced
2 - 3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 teaspoons dried oregano

1 x 400g tinned tomatoes, chopped
1 tablespoon tomato paste
250g carrots, peeled and diced
Optional: Red pepper, diced
1/4 pint vegetable stock
60g black olives, sliced

Optional: Handful of baby spinach
Salt and pepper to taste

600g-800g potatoes, mashed with butter or margarine
1 tablespoon fresh mint, minced
1x packet feta cheese, diced
Method
In a wide pan, heat the oil, then add the onions and cook on medium heat until it begins to soften, then stir in the garlic and herb and saute for a few minutes for the spices to mingle and the garlic to soften with the onions.

Then stir in the chopped tomatoes
Leave to cook for a few minutes until the tomatoes and paste are well integrated.
Stir in the carrots and reconstituted TVP and cook until tender and stock.
Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer until  it has thickened. 
Stir in optional vegetables and black olives.
Simmer for a few minutes, before turning off the heat and transfer contents into a large ovenproof dish.

To the mashed potatoes, stir in the feta cheese and and mint.  
Then carefully cover the pie filling distributing evenly. 
Bake in preheated oven, gas mark 5/200oc for 45-50 minutes or until golden and bubbling on the side.  
Serve immediately.  
Adapted from this Fiery Chilli Welsh Red Dragon Pie

6 comments:

  1. sounds delicious and a nice way to bring a little sunshine into your kitchen - or the thought of it. We have lots of rain tonight but it is a relief as it has been so humid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna, I thought the poor photograph is the reason noone commented, its funny that I think - so Thank you. I've also made two other Greek dishes, one I posted a few days ago made with saffron - now that was proper warming. Yes, you do need the rain for the weather your having so I am pleased for you - saying that today the rain is holding off, but it makes no difference to me today as I am home catching up with house chores.

      Delete
  2. This sounds delicious and I especially like the sound of the mash on top with feta in as well - I bet that makes it really tasty! Thank you so much for sharing with #CookOnceEatTwice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very tasty Corina, even my husband declared it as one of the most tastiest Shepherds pie he has ever had

      Delete
  3. This sounds yummy. I'd have never thought of adding olives or even mint, but I can see how they'd lift the dish up and give it something special. It's so steaming hot here, I can't imagine even turning on the oven but this will be perfect for winter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa, perhaps keep this dish for the winter season when it gets nippier. I don't like it awfully hot - weather wise but neither do i like it raining all the time - i can cope with cold, just about as I am a layered jumper kind of girl.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You