Sunday, 12 February 2017

Creamy Beet Rose Rice Pudding with Pomegranate (vegan)

The inspiration for this Creamy Beet Rice Pudding with Pomegranate Seeds  has two sources.   The recipe idea itself came about after a conversation with my work colleague.  She came back from town with what was supposed to be her lunch.   She says out loud to me 'I wanted a change from beetroot salad and I wanted something warm, so I have rice pudding from...'.  I started thinking -  Beetroot and rice pudding.  Then under her breath she grumbled and 'you still  owe me a beetroot cake'.
Well still no beetroot cake for her, but did make the Creamy Beet Rice Pudding that I was imagining and rating in my head.  I was inspired further to add the Pomegranate Seeds as I had also just watched Pan's Labyrinth in readiness for Food'n'Flix.
I have my own DVD of Pan's Labyrinth from Guillermo Del Toro along The Orphanage, The Devils Backbone and Cronos.  Its a dark fantasy Gothic supernatural fairytale set against the backdrop of fascist regime in Spain in 1944.  Ofelia the lead character discovers a labyrinth and meets a faun who tells her she is a Princess and sets her three challenges if she wishes to return to her Kingdom.    I had forgotten how graphic the movie was and although its a dark fairytale with good versus evil, its not a fairytale designed for children. Its been described as Alice in Wonderland for adults. 



There were loads of obvious foodie references from Captain Vidals feast for his guests to the Pale Man's decadent deep and richly coloured feast laden table, as well as bread to mandrake root. I was inspired by the scene where Ofelia encounters the Pale Man and is tempted by some fat juicy red grapes on the table when she is clearly instructed not to eat anything from the table. Next to the grapes are also some pomegranates and redcurrants.  I was inspired to use the ruby pomegranate seeds. Here is a link to the scene if you have not watched the movie and here is a link to Pan's Labyrinth Trailer.  This Creamy Beet Rose Rice Pudding with Pomegranate Seeds is my contribution to Food 'N' Flix this month  hosted by Pretty Cake Machine.  I am also sharing this with #CookBlogShare hosted by Easy Peasy Foodie; and finally Recipe of the Week hosted by A Mummy Too; and finally with Healthy Vegan Fridays by Rock My Vegan Socks and V Nutrition.
My husband loudly asserted this Beet Rice Pudding is Delicious - really delicious! You can make that again! He says out loud scooping up the last pink lushness with his spoon.  The bowl was wiped clean and I bet if he had the tongue of a cat, the bowl would have been licked clean too. I don't disagree with him, it was Delicious and creamy. The pomegranate seeds gave it further texture, flavour and eye popping colour.  Optional dollop or dollops of whipped cream - your choice.

Vegan Beet Rose Rice Pudding with Pomegranate Seeds
Serves 4 - 6
Ingredients
 100g Basmati rice or flaked rice
 1 litre of plant based milk or milk
 4 - 6 tablespoons caster sugar

200g cooked beetroot
180ml vegan alternative cream or double cream

1 tablespoon rosewater or rose syrup
Fresh pomegranate seeds 
Method
Wash and soak the rice for about 15 minutes.
Drain the rice and then place in a heavy bottomed saucepan.  
Stir in the milk and sugar and bring to the boil.   
Then lower the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes or until you get a rich, creamy texture.  
Puree the beetroot and cream together. Stir in the beetroot cream puree to the pot.
Add the rosewater or rose syrup.  
Simmer for a 15 minutes of so for the flavours to infuse and thicken.
Serve garnished with pomegranate seeds. 

22 comments:

  1. I remember watching Pan's Labyrinth at Mr Bite's urging a few years back (recorded off TV I think). It is definitely not for children! I appreciated it was a good film but it was a bit too dark for me.

    This rice pudding, on the other hand, looks like a breath of fresh and light air. I love the colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kari, Yes it is quite a dark movie.
      I am so pleased you like this rice pudding.
      I am hoping to make it again this weekend.

      Delete
  2. O M G This pudding looks so good and healthy, the colour is awesome.Book marked it, to try soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Its really good, esp. with the addition of rose syrup

      Delete
  3. Oh I love this idea - and so pretty! Thanks for linking it up to #CookBlogShare :-) Eb x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious Shaheen. I've made beetroot risotto before but not a sweet version like this. Love Pan's Labyrinth but still have nightmares about the Pale
    man - he's just too creepy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy, I thought you'd like this - the idea of sneaky veg! Beetroot rissoto is lovely, have you made it with bulgar wheat - delicious. Yes, Pale Man is a creature of nightmares.

      Delete
  5. wow that sounds so good - and I would really love to see Pan's Labyrinth - I remember when it came out and wanted to see it but never got to. Did you take some rice pudding to your colleague whom you owe a beetroot cake :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna.
      One to watch without Sylvia, make sure she is fast asleep in bed, i totally recommend it - its very sad and moving too.
      I did not take rice pudding into work, but guess what she did get her beetroot chocolate brownie. I will share it on the blog maybe next month as i have another chocolate recipe to share for WSC, but check out my instagram in the side bar that will show off the beetroot brownie that I did eventually make for her and she loved it.

      Delete
  6. I love the color of this, it's so vibrant - and the addition of rose just sounds dreamy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather. I am so pleased you like this, the rose addition def. elevates the rice pudding and so did the pomegranate seeds.

      Delete
  7. Pretty AND delicious - great combo ;) I love the fancy pants whipped cream dollops you added. Such a pretty bowl. I'm a sucker for pink things. And what a fun idea to make food with a movie in mind.
    Thanks so much for sharing at Healthy Vegan Fridays! I'm pinning & sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kimmy. Its vegan squirty cream - see this link
      http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/october-in-my-kitchen.html
      I've just posted another very red hearty dish, I think you will approve. Thank you so much for your warm comments, make my day

      Delete
  8. This sounds and looks absolutely scrummy Shaheen, I love both rice pudding and beetroot so would love to give it a try.
    Angela x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela, do hope you like - let me know if you make it or a variation of it.

      Delete
  9. This looks so delicious Shaheen! So perfect for Valentine's Day! I've never seen Pan Labyrinth, I'm such a baby when it comes to scary movies so I'm not sure if it's too scary for me. I love Alice in Wonderland though so maybe I'll give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary Ellen.
      Ah shame, as Pan's Labyrinth is such a good movie, but it is dark - so I understand your apprehension - its nothing like Alice In Wonderland, so maybe avoid it.

      Delete
  10. Great inspired-by dish. I don't know if I can even think of this film as an "Alice in Wonderland for adults" because of all the dark themes. I did enjoy the film though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debra. I remember reading it somewhere described as Alice in Wonderland for Adults, i can see why - but its a lot more darker I agree.

      Delete
  11. I adoooore this. The color is so absolutely stunning and the combination of flavors is so unique!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Katharina, just saw what you made - also stunning, guess we had the same inspiration.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You