Friday, 10 February 2017

Cinnamon Spice Butternut Squash and Chickpea Curry

Friday evening at last.

I share with you a bowl of Cinnamon Spice Butternut Squash and Chickpea Curry.  I made it over the weekend,.  It served us well early this week for two easy warm up meals when we came in late from work.  
This Cinnamon Spice Butternut Squash and Chickpea curry recipe is actually from Prashad: Indian Vegetarian Cooking by Kaushy Patel.  All I did different was in place of some of the chickpeas I added some butternut squash to the pot. 

Prashad is one of my favourite Indian Vegetarian Cuisine cookbooks and I still have to get my own copy of their last cookbook Prashad At Home.  The copy I have been shamefully hogging has been from the library.
This is a mild curry, even D commented on that, but it made for a change from spicy ones that I make often.  I do think this Cinnamon Spice butternut Squash Chickpea Curry benefits from sitting and being enjoyed a day later, rather than on the day as the spices somewhat deepen the flavour of the dish.  We ate this on the first day with plain rice and on the second ...with more plain rice!   


Ah in case your wondering, 'why is there a piece of wood bark in the curry?' The photograph above features a large cinnamon quill.  I am sharing this economical vegan recipe with The VegHog for Cheap Eats Week
If you wish to cook this Cinnamon Spice Chickpea Curry recipe at home, then follow Prashad's original recipe here. The only thing I did was after the tomatoes had softened, I added half a butternut squash that had been cubed into bite size pieces and allowed it to cook for a while and then added the chickpeas and liquid and followed to the rest of the recipe to the end.

I am off to open that bottle of red wine.  Enjoy your evening. 


Le Coin de Mel

12 comments:

  1. I hope you're enjoying that bottle of red wine, a DVD and you're snuggled up somewhere warm and cosy. (Which incidentally sounds like my idea of a good night, only with beer instead of wine!) I always think I don't like butternut squash too much, and then I have it in things like curry and I remember how lovely it can be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joey, I did indeed - it was suitable for vegans too from M&S. We are watching Spiral at the moment, a Parisian drama series and we have started series 2 - there are 5! Ah your a beer woman :) I used to be like that about butternut squash and sweet potatoes, but over the years i have come to like them.

      Delete
  2. Perfect for chilly weather. Best to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much e. Best to you too. I am coming by and reading, just not always leaving comments, please know you are in my thoughts.

      Delete
  3. sounds like a hard week - hope you enjoyed that wine as well as the curry - sounds v nice - love anything with chickpeas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna. Its been a dreadful week really, as well as busy - a colleague at another office has handed in his notice so that will have some impact on work for me, plus our funding ends in August...so its interesting times ahead and not nec. good. Wait and see. I love chickpeas too.

      Delete
  4. Thank you sharing with Cheap Eats Week! This is a perfect dish for it, so economical and good to warm up several times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome VegHog, i look forward to seeing the round up.

      Delete
  5. Good luck with your upcoming changes and I hope the weekend has given you the break you needed. This looks like an excellent dish to kick start it - what a lovely idea to add cinnamon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari, nothing has been said yet - but the changes will be happening, I just did not think a colleague would have left which has thrown things a bit up in the air. The weekend has been good, we were going to go into Bristol, but that did not happen, instead a lazy w/e. The cinnamon made it interesting for sure

      Delete
  6. Sounds delicious and warming. I'm always up for a meal that makes leftovers too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimmy. butternut squash features quite a lot in my homely meals.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You