Saturday, 9 August 2014

Cacao Nibs and Avocado Mousse aka Raw Sludge Pie

I know, I know another vegan, gluten free Raw Food Tart filled with raspberries.  The truth is that I am trying to make the most of my garden raspberries while they are still coming from my garden.  

Also I want to tease some of you as this Sweet Pie is not all that it seems.  The mousse that is mimicking the appearance of dark chocolate is actually not chocolate.  For a start, it is not even chocolate, it is cacao nibs which I recently got from Suma Wholefoods.  Secondly, what gives this pie filling a mousse like texture? There is a mystery ingredient well hidden in it - Avocado - a raw vegan nifty culinary trick I picked up from raw food bloggers when I first started blogging in 2009. Its absolutely amazing how avocado can form the base for one of the most luscious raw puddings around.  In fact Avocado Chocolate Pudding is probably one of the most popular raw food desserts around; and experienced raw fooders have probably had more raw chocolate pudding than they care to remember and don't quite understand what the fuss is, but for some us especially those living in the U.K, outside of the raw food scene its a very new way of preparing food and is getting big Wows
Anyway, this is my second recipe in the week with cacao nibs.  The first was Cacao Nibs, Raw Chocolate and Cocoa Muesli.  A little while back, I made some raw chocolate from scratch and have since acquired a taste for raw cacao.  Cacao nibs  can be ground and added to cakes and puddings.  I have to admit it is not to everyones taste, but give it a try, you just never know.  


I dub these Cacao Nibs and Avocado Pie - Sludge Pie, because it sounds a little more intriguing, and the ingredients certainly are.  The avocado is not overly strong, in fact when I presented a tart to my husband to try out, I did not tell him of the avocado content.  He enjoyed it, said it was unusual, different but nice.  He was unable to put his finger on the unusual ingredient, then I decided to drop a big hing, he goes 'oh now you say it - I can sort of taste it now, but its not overly detectable', which I guess is a thumbs up.   I was pleasantly surprised too. 
For those of you who don;t like cacao nibs or find it is an acquired taste, feel free to substitute with cocoa powder. Also if you eat this pie on the day, the cacao nibs have 'chocolate chip' texture, if you eat them a day later, they soften. So its up to you how you would like to enjoy it. I am sharing this with Ren Behan for Simple and In Season hosted this month by Elizabeth Kitchen Diary; and the lovely Emily at A Mummy Too for #RecipeoftheWeek 9 - 15 August 2014 
Raw Cacao Nibs and Avocado Mousse on Coconut and Date Base
For the Coconut and Date Base
To line 1 x 8 inch tart tin with remove able base or 4 - 6 small individual  fluted tins
Ingredients
150g cashew nuts, raw (soaked for 2 hours if you do not have a high power like Optimuum 9400 blender).  This blitzing process should also work in a good food processor too.  
90g dessicated coconut
160g soft dates
Pinch of salt
1 tablespoon water
Method
Put all the ingredients into the and blitz until roughly chopped, it needs to be soft pliable consistency, not soft like nut butter.  
Tip out into the pastry case and press down with your fingers, even up the side until well covered. 
Put in fridge to chill.
For the Cacao Nibs Avocado Filling
Ingredients
2 medium avocados, peeled 
45g cacao nibs from Suma Wholefoods
1 - 2 teaspoons maple syrup
75ml water
1 teaspoon vanilla
Optional: Raspberries for topping
Method
Put all the ingredients into a food processor and puree until smooth, pour carefully into dried fruit and nut cases.   Top with optional raspberries and chill until ready to serve.  If you leave overnight, the cacao nibs will soften.   NOTE: Because of the raw vegetable and fruit filling, this tart is best refrigerated and eaten within a couple of days. 
Integrity statement  As a member of the Suma Bloggers Network, I will receive a selection of complimentary products from Suma Wholefoods every two months, to use in recipe development and will blog original recipes for the Network.


8 comments:

  1. Certainly sounds different. I had never even heard of cacao nibs #recipeoftheweek

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to search to check when I had made chocolate avocado mousse tart and it was at the vegan roast masterclass a few weeks back and so yes I think it is a great combination and your tart looks really beautiful. That blender sounds like it does a great job of making the tart too. And your raspberries are featured beautifully

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna, then you can vouch for it being a good combo. So glad to note that you have made it too, not new eh! The blender is great, but I do appreciate that not everyone had one. I am trying to make the most of my raspberries, after summer is gone, the autumn ones will arrive.

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful recipe! Thank you for linking up with Simple and in Season :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm, just beautiful and so yummy, I bet. Thanks so much for linking up with #recipeoftheweek. Sorry I was particularly slow getting over for this one. I've pinned it to my food board and a tweet will go out shortly :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Totally okay, I will come on over in a while.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen