Wednesday, 16 July 2014

Chilli Coconut Bulgur Wheat Salad

I made way too much Bulgur wheat a week or so back to accompany my Groundnut Sweet Potato and Spinach Curry.   Instead of ditching it, I thought what else could i do with it.  I decided to make a salad with it that could be enjoyed over two days, one day as a main meal, the second day to take into work for lunch.   I decided to roast some vegetables that I had in the house courtesy of a complimentary vegetable box from new acquaintances.  These included a Romano Red pepper, carrots and my own home-grown broad beans.  But even then I thought the roasted vegetable Bulgur wheat salad  would have been too plain for my taste buds, so I decided to make a Chilli Coconut Relish to go with it.  The Chilli Coconut Relish was originally just going to be put on the side, but I decided to stir it into the Bulgur wheat.  It was terrific.  
The chilli coconut flavour relish is based on a Red Pol Sambol recipe.  Sambol or Sambal  is a Sri Lankan condiment often found ready made to be sprinkled on a curry or rice dish, or anything that requires a flavour boost or enhanced further.  Its really is simple. I was introduced to it by a Sri Lankan acquaintance a little while back, but never really had reason to make it before.  I don't think they will approve completely of my version, but let us not tell ay and keep it between us. 



If you decide to make this and find that you are left with some Chilli Coconut Relish, put it in the fridge, it will keep for up to a week.  You will find that it will dry out and thicken, just add a little water to loosen it and use it up. 
I am sharing this sweet savoury spicy salad with Jacqueline of Tinned Tomatoes  and Lisa from Lisa's Vegetarian Kitchen for this months No Croutons Required.

Chilli Coconut Relish
Ingredients
100g dessicated coconut, not the sweet variety
1 shallot or small onion, minced well
1 teaspoons dried red chillies, crushed
1 teaspoons chilli powder
1 tablespoon coriander, minced
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt to taste
Method
Put all the ingredients into a bowl and combine well.  Leave to sit for 30 minutes for the flavour to mingle.
  
The rest - follow packet instructions to make the Bulgur wheat in a large bowl.
Roast the peppers and carrots in the oven in a little olive oil until tender.
Blanch and peel the broad beans.
Assemble
In  the bowl that contains the Bulgur wheat, stir in Chilli coconut Relish to taste,  stir well to combine, then gently stir in the rest of the vegetables. 
Enjoy. 

8 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! I'd never think of combining carrot and coconut, but sounds so good, especially for the summer!

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Adi,
      I combine coconut and carrot in sweet dishes, but its the first for a savoury.

      Delete
  2. Coconut, Chilli and Broad Beans - now there's a combination I have never thought of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, but its good. Try it :)

      Delete
  3. coconut and bulgar wheat sounds like an intriguing combination - I like how you decided that bulgar and veg is too plain and make an amazing to pep it up - sounds great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna. Been delving into coconut quite a bit recently, but namely for sweet things, not savoury - so it made a nice change.

      Delete
  4. Lovely dish. Love the spicy condiment you included with the bulgar. Thanks for sharing with NCR. I will be posting the roundup soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa. I will come by for sure and hope to participate again next month.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen