Monday, 9 September 2013

Chestnut Mushroom and Barley Broth

The weather has certainly turned and the extra layering of clothing has begun.  I have swapped my light summery cardigan now for a thick jacket; or on rainy days that rain-coat.  Not quite ready for the woolly hat, scarves and gloves...but I know it won't be too long. 

This weather for me also signals the start of soups, stews and hearty broths to warm the belly when its bitterly cold, wet and miserable outside.   

Here is a bowl Chestnut Mushroom and Barley Broth.   You won't be hungry after eating this, it is rather filling. 
I am sharing this very autumnal broth with Lisa at Lisa's Kitchen for this month edition of  No Croutons Required. NCR is jointly hosted with Jacqueline at Tinned Tomatoes. The theme this month is Mushrooms.
UP-DATED: 30 September 2013 - I have been notified that this Mushroom Broth has won this months NCR - see here for the announcement.  Thank you to everyone who voted for me and to both Lisa and Jacqueline the hosts of NCR .

Chestnut Mushroom and Barley Broth
Serves 4
Ingredients
1 medium onion, sliced
1 large carrot, grated
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons olive oil
200g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
 80g pearl barley
 1 tablespoon Tamari or soy sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
1 ¼-1¾pint vegetable stock
1 x 400g can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
Method
Heat the oil in a large pot, sauté the onions until soft, then add the carrots, garlic and mushrooms and sauté until the mushrooms become tender. Add the barley, soy sauce, salt and pepper to taste and stock. Bring to a boil then turn down to a simmer. Add the chickpeas and cook for 20 minutes or until the barley is cooked. Tuck in as it is or serve with a crusty cob bread.

 A variation of this recipe has appeared on my blog in the past.

14 comments:

  1. Funnily enough - I've just made a big pot of vegetable soup. Your dish looks very tasty, might give it a try next week.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mm, that does look like a good autumnal bowl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mushroom barley soup is one of my favorite chilly weather warm-ups! I'm starting to layer on sweaters and jackets and my favorite zillion-year-old sweatshirts too so this is perfect...thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peace Patch. Some clothes we just love wearing.

      Delete
  4. Try this with Pinto Beans :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I will - is it supposed to replace the chickpeas though or an addition?

      Delete
  5. Hi Shaheen, feeling autumnal here, for the first time in weeks I've swapped short sleeves for long sleeves, then a cardy today and I'm feeling that aura of soups and stews creeping up on me. This sounds great, I had a similar autumn garden soup recipe with mushrooms, chestnuts & barley but no chick peas so not as substantial and I think mine had some stilton crumbled into it. I love these sorts of combinations.
    The no bake carrot cake energy bites were a huge success, I need to make more :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sally.
      I am so pleased the energy bites were a success.
      Yeah, autumn is here for sure. I am glad of it frankly so I can snuggle up in some of my fave jumpers and cardys. Your soup sounds substantial to me, esp. with the addition of chestnuts and the stilton cheese crumbled into it actually sounds good, giving the dish another flavour.

      Delete
  6. Delicious. I could use a bowl of that right now as I shiver. Thanks for sharing with NCR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa.
      Its shivering weather here too, very windy - just the start though, know it going to get worse. Soup will be on the menu loads the next few months.

      Delete
  7. This soup is perfect for the current chilly weather. I am looking forward to making this. Congratulations on winning!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen