Friday, 18 January 2013

White Beans, Leeks and Potato Soup

The Met Office issued a rare red weather alert for parts of South Wales with up to a foot of snow to fall - and it fell softly, yet heavily.  I got up this morning with good intentions of going into work.  Well we managed to get out of the driveway, through the first road then our small little car struggled and could not manage the uphill road, sliding as we drove.  We dare not risk it further as there were more hills to contend with on the journey.  D managed to turn the car around and we made ourselves back to the comfort of our home.   

We ventured out for a little walk for fresh air, but that was it - no building of snow-people, though we did see many on our walk.  Our nibbles today have been mainly bread (made in the bread machine) with butter,  with jam and pate.  I have to admit our kitchen cupboards are pretty empty.  The only two things we had warm today was a Christmas cake steamed up with custard and non-alcoholic mulled wine, I swear there must be alcohol in it, because its made my cheeks so rosy and made me feel cosy warm and a little drunk too. 

D has been on the computer most of the day as he got a text message saying not to come into work, so he has been hogging the computer.  I have just managed to get it in the last 30 minutes or so, and have decided to post this Leek and Potato soup recipe. 
I made this last week around the same time I made the Aloo Chaat Masala Burgers with the left over mashed potatoes from my Bubble and Squeak cakes. 
I thought it was a good recipe to submit to this months edition of No Croutons Required which is hosted this month by Lisa at Lisa's Kitchen as the theme this month is leftovers. Gosh I can hardly write a recipe here, as this was made on the hoof with what I had to hand as I hate waste, but here goes. 
White Beans, Leeks and Potato Soup
Serves 4 - 6
Ingredients and Method
Heat 2 tablespoons oil, add 1 medium onion minced and saute, then add in 2 medium leeks, washed and minced and saute until soft.  Add 400ml - 600ml vegetable stock and bring to the boil, stir in 200g cold mashed potatoes and simmer for 15 to thicken.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Add a 400g tin of drained and rinsed white beans towards the end and simmer to heat though.  Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary and serve immediately.   

16 comments:

  1. I made a big pan of leek and potato soup today, which warmed us up nicely after a couple of hours in the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings and a warm and healthy New Year to you and D, Shaheen. This looks divine and just the perfect thing for colder weather. The cats and I are temporarily displaced from our flat, but hoping to be home by next week...

    Whatever happened with that site that was stealing your recipes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings to you to e, so good to hear from. I am sorry to learn that you and the kitties are temp displaced, lets hope the temp is really temp. Stay warm x
      Re the copyright issues, still undergoing - no news yet to share.

      Delete
  3. I hope your cupboards are well-stocked Shaheen. The worst of the weather is still to come, I fear, and by all accounts the shelves in Welsh supermarkets are already bare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My home cupboards are still pretty bare, the cafes cupboards on the other hand are heaving - wish I lived near there.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing this with NCR. A comforting soup indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to hear from yo Lisa. Thank you. Its always a pleasure to be part of NCR.

      Delete
  5. This sounds like a nice warming soup recipe. We need something to warm us up. We have not got as much snow as you have, maybe 5 to 6 inches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judith, 5 - 6 inches of snow is still a lot. Stay warm x

      Delete
  6. Looks a delicious soup. I liked how you added mashed potatoes. Creative cooking is great when you just have to make do.. And it still turns out OK. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janet,
      the mashed potatoes also serve as a great thickening agent.

      Delete
  7. Hi Shaheen,

    Thank you so much for stopping by my much neglected Blog. I really appreciate your goodwill message. I will try and stop by your wonderful cafe sometime soon-unfortunately work and other commitments have changed so I have not been free to visit these last few months. But back to your cake-my-that looks delicious-I would happily sink my teeth into a slice of that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you GD x
      Do come by soon as HD is not long for me now, I knew it would end just not this soon. Stay well x

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen