Monday, 30 July 2012

Casnewydds Best Dish

A few good months ago, I entered a local cooking competition in South Wales - Newport's Best Dish based on the cookery show Britain's Best Dish.   Newport (known in welsh as Casnewydd)  Best Dish is in its second year.  I am not one for competitions and especially not those where I am placed in the limelight.  So my reasoning for entering was two-fold. One to experience what it was like to cook under pressure, and to a strict deadline; and two, to use the competition as means to promote the cafeteria when it officially opened early this month.   But the fact is there has hardly been any promotion of the competition and its outcome by the organisers or the local council on its web pages of the winner or the runners up.  To add to this very little if any  interest has been shown by the local media of the competition. Never mind.

Anyway, the dish I decided to enter was deliberately chosen to highlight my Welsh heritage and my return to home - Wales - my Caerphilly Cheese, Leek and Potato Pie.    My dish came runner up, third in fact - not bad for a vegetarian dish I think. 
I also entered this pie into lovethegarden in March where the theme was to cook with leeks.  The competition was judged by Kerstin Rodgers also known as Ms Marmite from The Secret Garden Club. I was fortunate to come runner up and win my very own copy of her cookbook: Supper Club - see here.  

Since opening the cafe these individual pies have been made every week.  They have been popular with customers - to eat in warm or take out.  The recipe can be found here.  I do sometimes glaze these Caerphilly Cheese, Leek and Potato Pie with egg wash.  

16 comments:

  1. sounds like this pie has been put through its paces and come out a winner - would love a slice - must look out for caerphilly cheese here so I can have a go

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pies are delicious no wonder you have been a winner each time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done! You are making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! They look very delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic Shaheen.....Sometimes you set out to do things for a certain purpose and it just isn't there.You probably learnt some important lessons about working under pressure that will last a lifetime that are ay more important than a little free advertisement. When cooking for the public giving a great tasting dish is important but, they won't usually try something new if it doesn't have eye appeal.I think you are well on your way to doing just that. Your pies are adorable and neat looking. I hope you're not burning the candle at both ends The first year is usually a killer. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds delicious! Congratulations on placing in both the contests! :) My mouth's watering now!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well Done. I have this recipe bookmarked to try. I know my Husband will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations, Shaheen!! With your cafe, and these competitions, you have been busy! I really do hope to visit Wales one day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks so delicious... How can it not... when it is made by your magic hands?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Shaheen, what a shame the Best Dish comp wasn't widely promoted, strange how sometimes these things are overlooked. Pleased to hear you were a runner up with this pie, it's become a favourite of mine since finding it on your blog. Sally x

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds lovely for a rainy night...I hope you and D are keeping well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done on placing third Shaheen... I love this pie ever since you first posted it, and I am glad its got some recognition. Shame about the organisers not promoting the competition, but I guess there's so much on nowadays.

    Good on you for doing it, anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do hate it when something such as this competition is set up and then seems to fizzle out through lack of organisational skills or publicity. This would have been a brilliant way to promote good eating and cooking in both Newport and Wales.

    Well done on doing so well in it and such a shame that it did not generate more publicity for your cafe and all the other foodies in Newport.

    Well done also on also almost winning with those delicious looking pies (there's something so homely about a picture of pies).

    So you've come third, second and now there's just a first needed......Best Vegetarian Cafe in Newport/Wales do you think....!

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow congratulations, a veggie win is quite something. Hope it helps to bring some new punters through the door. All the best with your new venture x

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are lovely little pies! Love a veg option when you come across a fair or festival ... would love to come across these at an outdoor fair or farmer's market fest - great entry for the Best of ... competition! Too bad that promotion and media hasn't been crackin' ... but as you said, it's only the second year and these events have a way of developing as they go along.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen