Sunday, 3 June 2012

Leafy Beetroot Bites

I know in the very near future I will be harvesting my own homegrown beetroot, but right now I must say I am fortunate to find beetroot with its vibrant leaves still in tact.  This beetroot comes from just across the Welsh border.  Chances are if you are purchasing from a supermarket these will be lopped off.  A shame, as beetroot leafy tops are edible and full of beta carotene, calcium and iron, which is great in salads or cooked simply like Swiss chard or spinach. 
Early this afternoon, I went a a step further and decided to shred some of the leafy tops and add them to my beetroot batter for deep frying. 

These beetroot bites are a bit like pakoras aka bhajis made with potatoes and spinach, but these do not have much in the way of spices. Feel free to add cumin, coriander and chilli if you so wish. Today I just wanted to let the beetroot flavour shine here. And they were most welcome, dipped in soured cream as nibbles. 
I know its not Friday, but with the Queen's Jubilee, lots of families are getting together for the long weekend.  So I am sharing some of these deep red morsels with Family Friendly Fridays.    June's edition of Family Friendly Fridays is being hosted by Solange over at Pebble Soup on behalf of Ren over at Fabulicious FoodThis recipe is also linked to Just Another Meatless Monday hosted by What's for Dinner Mom? and Jill at Real Food Forager who is hosting Fat Tuesday 5th June 2012. 
Beetroot  Bites
You will need a deep fat fryer for this recipe
Ingredients
200g raw beetroot, peeled and coarsely grated

50 g beetroot leaves (or spinach), washed and finely sliced
1 small onion, finely sliced
Optional: 2 tablespoons of finely chopped coriander (or parsley)
Salt and pepper to taste
100g gram flour
Method
Mix the beetroot, beetroot leaves, onion and herb together. Season, then mix in the gram flour to combine. Cover and refrigerate for  30 minutes to an hour.
Stir again, heat oil.  Drop a a few tablespoons of the beetroot batter into the oil and fry in batches until golden on both sides. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.  Serve immediately.

18 comments:

  1. There's no limit to your inventiveness, Shaheen!
    I often pick some of the tiny leaves from my beetroo plants to add some colour to a salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mark, Its lovely to hear from you x
      My beetroot at home is beginning to grow showing off its leaves too, so that is exactly what I will be doing in the v. near future too - salads!

      Delete
  2. I love beetroot leaves and we are fortunate to have them intact on our delivery of beetroots in our veg box scheme. I tend to use them wilted, either in dal or as a pizza topping

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I should have mentioned, veg box schemes tend to keep beetroot whole too. I like the idea of them on pizza, may have to try this - maybe even today, if I have enough flour to make the base from scratch.

      Delete
  3. great recipe! i can't wait to try this with the beets i am growing in my garden!

    thanks for stopping by my blog!

    -Deborah, http://gardeniadreams.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so so much Deborah. I hope you like!

      Delete
  4. Ciao, mi piace molto questo tuo piatto con le barbabietole, complimenti!!!
    Bella presentazione!!
    Buona settimana
    Dana et Dana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dana for such a lovely compliment/comment.

      Delete
  5. This looks really nice. It reminds me of the vegetable alternative we made for meatballs. Beets taste surprisingly good when they are deep fried even for a beetroot hater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sri, Yes your right they are 'meatball like'. I was goint to call them kofte, but changed my mind, maybe next time when I add more veg and spice to them and they are a lot more rounder :)

      Delete
  6. I'm never very successful growing beetroot, I get lots of leaves but no 'bulb' I use the leaves however lightly steamed as spinach, or in salads, so this is another way of using them.
    I think it's worth growing just for the leaves anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Wean. The leaves are fantatic, shame may people don't appreciate them.

      Delete
  7. Hi I have followed your blog for quite a number of years now as it is a brilliant site for cooking my home grown veg in unique ways, this recipe is no exception. I am growing beetroot in planters this year so I look forward to trying out this recipe. I also have the balsamic red chard recipe on my to do list, as i have plenty of that at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Tracey,
      I know you have been a loyal reader of mine for quite a while. I really must thank you. for me it is always humbling to hear from my readers too. Your comment/compliment really means a lot to me. I lost my job just over a year ago and have been finding it hard to find work around my quals. so have decided to do something else that I do well, cook creatively with seasonal vegetables. So am opening a veggie cafe in the next fortnight or so, so you have boosted my confidence much more.

      I have some more beetroots not grown in Wales, but across the border - England. I have just finishd making some mini beetroot loafs, just have to test them now.

      PS the balsamic chard recipe may be more of a miss, I really did find it fishy, but you may think otherwise when you make it :)

      Once again, Thank you.

      Delete
  8. Hi Shaheen,

    Yet another fine looking beetroot recipe, I am slowly warming up to idea of liking beetroot-the photos look fab BTW.

    Best of luck too with the imminent opening!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dragonette,
      I am so pleased that you are 'warmign up to the idea of liking beetroot' - I promise you won't end up loving this root veg, but you will gain a greater appreciation for its versatility.

      Thanks for the warm wishes, I get the keys on Friday :)

      Delete
  9. I am being told by my best friend that the small beetroot leaves are a delight thank you so much for kicking off the event on Pebble Soup with such a lovely recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to start picking some of my own homegrown beetroot leaves for salads :) I' so pleased to be part of the event and thnak you for hosting, I am sure I will be back with many other contributions.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen