Saturday, 4 February 2012

Chickpea and Rosemary Soup

Amongst the packing, running to the charity shop with goods no longer needed and to the local council recycle yard, I actually managed to do a little cooking and make some soup today.  Really need it as this afternoon there is a cold  chill in the air and the rain feels like ice.  I don't really want to be cooking, but I also don't like waste.  I have twelve tins of chickpeas and in an attempt to use up one of the tins, a Chickpea soup was made.  As well as the soup, I have made a large quantity of chickpea hummus and will also at some point be making a Couscous, chickpea and winter green salad.
I am linking this to February Simple and in Season hosted by Ren Behan at Fabulicious Food.  This soup is also my entry for this month's No Croutons Required (NCR) which is being hosted this month by the lovely Jacqueline. NCR is alternately hosted between the Jacqueline of Tinned Tomatoes and Lisa of Lisa's Kitchen. Its a monthly vegetarian food blogging event, where readers are challenged to create either a soup or salad incorporating a specified ingredient. This month Jacqueline has requested that we use fresh herbs

I have one small regret  on leaving Scotland that I was unable to meet with Jacqueline from Tinned Tomatoes in person.  A couple of opportunities had come up, but for some reason she was unable to make or or I was unable too .  She has always been most gracious and most supportive of my blog.  She was even one of my very first followers and regular commenters.  I am truly humbled to know her, albeit through social networking.  Jacqueline lives in Dundee, East Coast. with her husband Graham and very cute little boy Cooper.  I really wish her the best and who knows, maybe our paths will cross one-day. 

Anyway, back to the recipe.  I mentioned last week that I have rosemary growing int he garden and unable to take it with me when I move, so this is my last recipe with it in Scotland. I hope the new owners (that's whenever we actually sell this flat) appreciate the herbs growing.

You will have to forgive me as I have had to borrow the photograph from an old blog post. I am unable to share food photographs presently as the camera has been packed away for our move.  The above soup is very similar looking and tasting.

Winter Rosemary and Chickpea Soup
Serves 4
Ingredients
2- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
2 medium onions, finely sliced 

4 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 large potatoes, chopped into small cubes
400g cooked chick peas
2 pints of vegetable stock
2 sprigs of rosemary

Salt and pepper to taste
Method
Heat oil, in a large pan and cook the onions and garlic until soft.  Then add the potatoes, chickpeas, stock and the rosemary sprigs. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 30 minutes.
With a slotted spoon, remove and throw away the rosemary sprigs. Then take out about one third of the vegetables. Use a hand blender or a food processor to blend the remaining soup in the pot. Put back the blended soup and vegetables you took out and stir well. Add seasoning and reheat gently before serving with homemade crusty bread

29 comments:

  1. I, too, am making soup today, out of stuff I have (leftover pork chop bits, etc.). Mine is Mexican posole. I continue to wish you the best on your move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely feel like one of the things that keeps me blogging are the people I meet, although only sometimes in person since the internet is so global.

    This soup looks great and if it were me, I would totally dig up the rosemary plant so I could take it with me. Fresh herbs are indispensable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely post. I agree that Jac from Tinned Tomatoes is a lovely person and very generous in her support of others. So sad that you are leaving Scotland. Rosemary is my favourite herb and this soup looks great. You could also linky it up to Herbs on Saturday on Karen's blog Lavender and Lovage

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just so delicious. Great for these exceptionally cold days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Shaheen,

    I do so love chick peas and rosemary so that soup looks very good indeed! All the very best for the move. Hate to say where I am in South Wales it has been snowing steadily all day and we now have a good inch or two of snow. Hopefully it will all go before you travel down...

    On the font front, I now can’t cut and paste and retain the papyrus font on my posts...oh well...

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOO looks so yummy! I may have to try this, making lots of soup for lunches at work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh I love the combination of chickpeas and rosemary. I think I will be trying this recipe this week.

    Just wanted to say how much I have enjoyed reading your blog - it has come along at a perfect time having recently given up meat and dairy, I have really enjoyed browsing the recipes and will be cooking some this week. I especially like the music selection that goes with them! Kohlrabi Fritters and Violent Femmes - sounds like a winning combination!
    Good luck with the move.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope the moving goes smoothly, Shaheen. Take care and be well.

    xxx
    e

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm I can almost smell it. Hope the move goes good x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm, delightful! I LOVE all things chickpea!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This soup will certainly keep out the winter chills - and so nice to be able to use your rosemary before you leave. I bet someone will really appreciate it being left.

    ReplyDelete
  12. TWELVE tins of chickpeas? Where on earth did you put them in your teeny kitchen?!
    This looks very hearty and sustaining. Good luck for the big move, look forward to seeing your new kitchen soon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not in the tiny kitchen for sure. Would you believe me it I told you they were in the garden shed, because its true.

      Delete
  13. Hi, via gardeningbren's blog...you have some interesting recipes here!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for such kind words and I too am sorry we never got a chance to meet up.

    Such a lovely soup for this month's NCR. I have been putting chickpeas in a lot of my soups recently.

    I hope the move goes well.

    Jac
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. that looks nice... I wanted a quick supper with some fresh bread I had made last night so you inspired me to try a similar soup - I substituted the rosemary for a handful of fresh flat leaf parsley. Simple, quick and tasty!

    All the best with your move!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh no and now we'll not be able to meet either :( good luck with your move xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taz,
      I am sorry too. If I ever find myself in that direction I will keep you in mind.

      Delete
  17. 12 tins of chickpeas - wow that is amazing but if it means you eat this sort of soup than it is also a very good thing - we love chickpeas but I don't buy in bulk because our pantry is always overcrowded already. Hope the move is going well - you must be missing your camera and your cooking so hope things settle soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna,
      My pantry was stuffed too, the chickpeas were in the garden shed - would you believe :)

      Delete
  18. You've got such a lovely array of recipes of your blog and you're so creative with your ingredients. This soup sounds amazing and I love chickpeas - cheap, healthy and filling.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I also tend up stock up on tins of chickpeas as they are so versatile when the fridge is almost bare. I love them in a soup with tinned tomateos and spices.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A lovely recipe thanks for entering Simple and in Season. I hope the move is going well x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen