Tuesday, 13 September 2011

Autumnal Pear and Almond Tart

You may remember the Plum and Almond Tart I made a couple of weeks ago.  Well this is exactly the same recipe, but in place of the sweet and sharp crimson plums...
I am using mottled green pears from my mothers garden.  My mother said this was the first year that her pear tree had rewarded her with many, so many that she was happy to part with some and I was happy to accept.  The eating apples here are from my fathers allotment.  
I've made two recipes with the firm pears so far.  A savoury Pear Tart and a sweet one - a Pear and Almond Tart.  This autumnal Pear and Almond Tart had a golden honey crunch on the outside and squidgy softness on the inside.  It was very moreish, leaving you wanting for more.
I am sharing this recipe at Tasty Tuesday Parade of Food hosted by Beauty and Bedlam; The Hearth and Soul blog hop hosted by 21st Century Housewife, Tea Party Tuesday hosted by Sweetology, Tea for Two hosted by The Plumed Pen, as well as Tuesdays at the Table; Fat Tuesdays and Lady Behind the Curtains Cast Party Wednesday#14. Please do go by and check out the other contributions.
Pear and Almond Tart
Serves 6
For the Rich Shortcrust Pastry
Ingredients
170g plain flour
Pinch of salt
100g unsalted butter
1 medium egg yolk
Cold water, to combine
Method for the Rich Shortcrust Pastry
Sift the flour with the salt into a large bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Mix the egg yolk with 2 tablespoons water and add to the mixture. Mix to a firm dough. Chill, wrapped for 30 minutes before using. Roll out to line a 13 x 4 inch loose bottomed flan tin.
For the Pear and Almond Filling
75g unsalted butter
100g golden caster sugar
1 egg and 1 egg yolk
65g ground almonds
40g plain flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 - 2 medium pears, thinly sliced.  I used a mandolin.
Method
Preheat oven to gas mark 4.
Lay the sliced pears at the base, keepign some back for the topping.
Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, then beat in the egg and egg yolk. Fold in the ground almonds and flour and vanilla extract. Spread the mixture over the pastry base and pears, then neatly arrange the remaining sliced pears on top. Bake in oven for 25 - 30 minutes, until lightly golden and firm to the touch. Serve warm.

30 comments:

  1. This sounds absolutely delightful! I love autumn desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking your great post to FAT TUESDAY. This recipe looks great! Hope to see you next week!

    http://realfoodforager.com/2011/09/fat-tuesday-september-13-2011/

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks wonderful, a friend gave me a bagful of pears and I have plans for a weekend cake...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cakes and tarts with slices of pear on top. They are always so appealing and great for flavour too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i've never tried pear tart before...but i bet they taste as good as other tarts..:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such beautiful fresh fruit! There is nothing like it! I would totally pick the sweet tart over the more savory! :) I love a good sweet treat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your plum and almond tart looked so good that I wouldn't have said this could beat it. But I think it does, by a smidge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow this looks so yum ....wonderful combo of pear n almond

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you BreAna.


    Thank you so much Jill.
    Its my absolute pleasure and so glad that I've found Fat Tuesday.


    Thank you Kath.
    I've recently located a location nearby heaving with pears, may have to go by and forage some when I finish those my mother gave me.
    I look forward to seeing your pear cake.


    Thanks Jacqueline.
    I've come to appreciate the sandy texture of pear much more recently, it was not a fruit I ate much when I was small - found it a bit boring, not anymore, esp. as they can be used in savoury dishes too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so, so much HangKebon.
    I totally recommend this Pear tart
    :)


    Lovely to hear from you Morgan.


    Your so kind Kari.
    Guess what, I have to agree with you, this pear tart does beat the plum one just by a fraction.!


    Thank you Priti.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know how you make such wonderful things!

    We are investing a pear tree for next year, so will save this recipe for next year's season.

    Have a good day!

    Martin

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much Martin,
    YOur comment is warmly welcomed. When I was workign I used to do lots of cookign at the weekend ready for the workign week, now beign unemployed and time on my hands I try to cook at least one dish a day - part cos I enjoy it, part to pass the day. I do recommend making this, so hope your pear tree rewards you in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! What a post ! Wish we were closer to pop in for a cup of tea and a slice of that! If you've got time on your hands right now I just found a get baking section in the classic "Enchanted Broccoli Forest" by Molly Katzen.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How fortunate to have a pear tree grown at the garden. I love bake fruits tart. Wish I can have a piece of your tart.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a gorgeous tart! Perfect start to fall!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Adam and Theresa.
    And you would have been more than welcome to come on over for a cup of tea and a slice of tart! I do have the book "Enchanted Broccoli Forest" by Molly Katzen, so will take a look at the baking section.


    Thanks Mel.
    The pear tree is in my parents garden.
    I'd have been happy to give you a slice of this tart, not sure if my husband would have felt the same - you see he really liked this tart.


    Thank you Alexis.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Vowwwwww!!! these look grt!!!
    loved them..bookmarked..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you soujanya,
    nice to make your acquaintance and I do hope you make this.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That looks DELICIOUS Shaheen, and I may try that as I have pears in the garden!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you somuch Karen.
    I hope you do make this, it really was good.

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow, this is quite a stunning recipe, I am in love!! Thanks for linking it up!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much Trish.
    I'm so delighted to read that you liked this and I was pleased to be part of Sweetology this week.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well, I thought it sounded good with plums, but pears sound fabulous as well. I actually have some on my counter right now that never ripened and are starting to rot, so I'm going to have to bake with them instead of eating them raw. You're lucky to have a mother with a pear tree--the grocery store can be so unreliable!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Lauren,
    Try your pears in muffins - I've been thinking about doing that at some stage.
    Your right, I am lucky and fortunate that my mother was happy to part with some. Not many as I wished though, as she wanted to feed her grandchildren with them too :)Guess what though -I've found a pear tree nearby, but they were still firm - so if I get the chance I hope to go back towards the end of the month and forage some - that is of course if noone has beaten me to them.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello Shaheen,

    I just tried a "from scratch" pastry crust and it is tough...what did I do wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi e,
    This is one of my most reliable rich pastry recipes. Did you use cold butter, and chop it down in pieces before you start working it with the flour to turn into breadcrumbs. It tends to be tough when it comes out the fridge, this is normal. I hope this helps.

    I got better with practice, so that is the only advice I can give you.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love this recipe. Makes me ready for fall.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you Food Hunter.
    Come back later in the week, when I'll have another pear cake that I think is even more impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Pear and almond are such a wonderful combination. This is a lovely autumn recipe. Thank you for sharing it with the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen