Thursday, 15 September 2011

Apple and Sage Fritters

For those of you who were wishing to see photographs of my fathers allotment and progress since the last time I showed you.  I have to apologise, as I don't have any to share.  We did take the camera over, but it had started raining quite heavy, (yes the rain really did follow us all the way from Scotland to Wales and then back).  However, I did manage to steal some apples from his tree. I had to get D to give the tree branches a good shake for some of them to come tumbling down at my feet - about a dozen.

So it is with those eating apples that I made these fritters with a little sage from my own garden plot.
These fritters were puffy and airy light.  The apples in it are both sweet and sharp; and the sage soft and musky.  These fritters reheat really well in the oven, so its okay to make them a day in advance.   I am submitting some of these 'Apple and Sage Fritters' to Graziana of Erbe in Cucina for this week’s Weekend Herb Blogging (WHB) #301 . WHB is overseen by Haalo from Cook Almost Anything.

Apple and Sage Fritters
Serves 4 - 6
Ingredients
For the batter
100g plain flour
Salt to taste
1 tablespoons fresh sage, finely minced
1 medium egg, separated
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
150ml/¼ pint water
For the fritters
1 medium onion, finely sliced
2 sharp eating apples
Salt and pepper to taste
4 - 6 tablespoons of vegetable oil for frying
Method
Sift the flour with the salt into a large bowl, then stir in the sage.  Make a well in the centre and add the egg yolk, oil and gradually whisk in the water to form a smooth batter.  Cover the batter and leave to stand for 30 minutes.
Peel, core and finely slice the apples, then stir into the batter.  Add the onion and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Whisk the egg white until stiff, then lightly fold into the batter.
Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large frying pan.  When the oil is sizzling, drop a couple of tablespoons of the batter into the pan, shaping them into neat, even rounds.  Fry over moderate heat for abut 3 minutes until golden, then carefully turn over and fry the other side for a couple of minutes.
Drain the fritters on absorbent paper, transfer to a serving platter and keep warm in the oven.  Continue frying batches of the fritter in the same way, adding more oil if necessary.  Serve immediately.

22 comments:

  1. YUM! Apple and Sage are great together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg anything with the word fritter gets me excited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum yum yum! Sounds amazing! Can't wait to see what you make with the rest of your "stolen" apples.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say that my boy can eats almost everything, even that things he doesn't like if they are fried! So I'll go to make this recipe.

    Thanks Shaheen!

    Verónica

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic combination of ingredients! I need to think outside the square more - now you've put the idea into my mind, apple and sage seem like a perfect mix, but I'd never thought of it before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice combo ...looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a winning combination...apple and sage. Yum! AND I don't have to wait for the season to change. I can try these right now ; )
    Thanks for inspiring me again!
    Have a fabulous weekend - hopefully the weather will be kind.
    I won't mention its perfect here right now: Sorry but its true x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Teresa.


    Thanks simply.food.


    Thanks Alexis.
    These were really good!


    Thanks Lauren.
    I don't know if I mentioned, I also have 4 cookign apples that I foraged. I had a lot mroe, but made a crumbel for my family when I was down in Wales.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Verónica.
    I so hope you bo likes these. Please let me know.


    Thanks Kari.
    This is such a obvious combo, but Your not the only one who had not thought of putting these two tegether in something different other than stuffing, it dawned on me much later too.


    Thank you Priti.


    Thanks Neesie Natters.
    I'm so glad you can try these out now.
    Sage is a hardy herb ; )
    I hope you have a good weekend too - with the weather being much better than helps :) Its Friday and as I look out the window I see drizzles or rain, storm is predicted for the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those fritters sounds so good! Apple and onion always work well together :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Carissa.
    Hope your well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is always something new to learn from your herbs recipes!
    Thank you for joining WHB.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Apple season is definitely upon us in central WA, so excited to try this! All of my recipes are for sweets, but the onion and sage make these sound savory. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum! These fritters look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. heck yeah! stolen apples make the best everything!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Shannon.
    I don't often make savoury recipes with apples, so its pretty much my first time too. It makes a nice change from the sweet stuff.


    Thank you yummychunklet.


    Thanks Kristy Lynn.
    I say 'stolen apples', but my Dad knew I was taken some, so not strictly true, but the cookign apples i foraged in North Wales, well a different story there!

    ReplyDelete
  17. these look great - I think that they would be great with a sharp cheese - and of course would taste all the better for coming from your dad's allotment

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Johanna,
    I have to totally agree with you about the sharp cheese - and it may look like I'll be heading back to my Dads allotment next week, as my mother has asked me to come down and help her as she is due to go into the hospital for an op :(

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a brilliant idea for using up the copious amounts of apples I've been given and the sage we're growing. I know it won't use up that much, but still. I made fritters with mashed potatoes this evening so am thinking to maybe do the same again but adding apples and sage - that should liven them up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks Choclette.
    These were really delicious, I'd def. make them again - actually I still have somemroe of my Dads apples and they need to go - so who knows :0)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen