Thursday, 11 August 2011

Orange Gingerbread Slices

I know the past few days I've been straying away from fresh seasonal produce; making the most of what we have in our kitchen cupboards (lentils, pasta) or already in the fridge (tofu, okra).

Truth is we have hardly ventured outside the past few days.  Part of the reason is our finances, the other is the heavy downpour.  I mean even the Scots are moaning about the weather, and it takes a lot for the Scots to moan.  A couple of days ago, even the Scottish weather person stated it as being the worst Summer in Scotland.   I say what Summer?!  There was one good week of sunshine, but it was just a teaser.  I think parts of England would benefit with some this rain, as it would keep the opportunist rioters off the streets.  Its really disgraceful and sadly its getting uglier.  Forgive me for digressing, but its hard not to get angry, with people having been made homeless by the mindless malicious actions of others; as well as at the loss of innocent, young lives.  It is truly heartbreaking.  I have a lot to say about whats going on right now, but this is not the place for it .  Also I know it wouldn't make an ounce of difference to the people who have been directly affected by this ugly unfolding reality in our society.
Anyway, I may not be sitting under the Spanish sunshine, but this sliced orange injects a little colour in my home.  Also if you were to step into my home, you would be seduced by gorgeous smells. 

I can only describe these being a bit like ginger nuts, but superior. This is a skinny ginger cake with a light crunch on the outside and squishy, chewy soft inside. By the way the orange is very subtle; and there is also a hint of saltiness that is really lovely. I would find it extremely hard sharing these, but I must share some of that golden sunshine albeit in a small cake.
I am linking this recipe to This Chick Cooks Party#10; Bake with Bizzy; and Simple Lives Thursday#56 hosted by Gnowfglins and friends.  Please do go by and visit these blogs.
Orange Gingerbread Traybake
8 – 10 slices
Ingredients
225g plain flour
1 ½ teaspoon ground ginger
1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
½ teaspoons alt
75g butter
225g demerara brown sugar
2 tablespoon black treacle
4 tablespoons milk
1 egg
Zest from 1 small orange
2 tablespoons orange juice
Method
Grease and line the base of a 11 x 7 inch shallow cake tin. In a mixing bowl, stir together the flour, ginger, baking powder, soda and salt. In a medium pan, add the butter, sugar and treacle and heat until melted and allow to cool. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and milk, orange zest and orange juice, then combine all the ingredients together, beat well and pour into the prepared tin. Bake int he oven at gas mark 3 for 30minutes, until just firm to the touch. Cool in the tin, then cut into squares.

22 comments:

  1. This does look like it would lift spirits in gloomy weather. I hope you enjoyed every bite of the non-shared batch :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. orange n ginger -thumbs up to that combo and yup things are getting uglier vis-a vis the riots; hopefully things clear up pretty soon !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh these look delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never really liked the taste of ginger in cakes, but I always fancied myself liking the, if you know what I mean.

    Thanks to your comment, I was 'made aware' of what's happening in England. I hope things will improve later, and I do hope the Malay lad is okay now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The texture and flavor sounds wonderful in these goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so delicious. Great pictures. Love your blog. Come over and visit us. We are from the Carolinas (USA) and would love to have you visit our blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Recipes and editorial comments...I agree with you. I posted a bit about the riots and have not gotten huge comments, but I encouraged people to read a post from another blogger about people working together with police to try and stop the looting in their area...

    Have a good day, Shaheen. Our rain has stopped for now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely beautiful ~ both these lovely gingerbread slices, and your blog......I love my garden and seasonal food, and I am so pleased you stopped by my blog so I could meet you!
    Karen ~ Lavender and Lovage

    ReplyDelete
  9. Would it be too much to ask to have a layer of dark chocolate put on top of my share...? I'm sort of moving in the Jaffa Cake direction.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your gingerbread offers a bit of welcome relief to the riots (enough of that elsewhere). These sounds delicious and I like the way you've cut them into rounds.

    ReplyDelete
  11. my mom is addicted to anything gingerbread flavoured! she would go crazy for these!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look so amazing, I love gingerbread cookies at christmas, I will have to try these :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks delicious! I want to try this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Kari.
    PS I had to share some with my husband, it was only right:D


    Thank you for your comment Priya.
    Yes its a shame, hopefully we will not see a reoccurence of such scenes again...


    Thank you alison
    x

    Thanks Sumaiyyah.
    It is an acquired taste, do try them again - you never know you may find yourself liking them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Briarrose.
    Always good to hear from you.


    Thanks carolinaheartstring.
    I sure will.


    Thank you e.
    I'll come by and then read the post that you've encouraged people to read. Warm wishes to you. Regarding the weather, its set to be miserable most of the week and my mother in law arrives in not too long.


    Thank you so, so much Karen.
    I am so pleased you came by, it is a pleasure to have you visit my humble little space.
    I woudl also like to say Tahnk you so much for choosing to follow, it is very kind of you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello there strange - Mark.
    A layer of dark chocolate put on top, no problem - but about your share - mmmmmm, I did say I would find these hard to share, but I consider you a friend so no problems.


    Thanks Choclette.
    So lovely to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Kelsey.
    I think you better make your mom some then
    <3

    Thanks SMK.
    :)


    Thank you sooz.
    Pssst don't tell anyone, but I'd sneek some in your direction :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. orange sounds like a great flavour to add to gingerbread - I have tried it with dried peel which was lovely - I agree with you that it is shocking what is happening in england - but as I live with a scot - I don't think it takes them much to complain about the weather

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, don't they look lovely?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Johanna GGG.
    I like the sound of it with dried peel.
    Yes the weather here is miserable and it is set to stay this way for a little while longer, esp in the West. Its supposed to be drier on the East, my mother in law is here, so we may venture into Edinburgh for the festival.


    Thank you Lrong.
    They tasted really good too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love anything with ginger and I absolutely love cake so this would be a hit with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so so much Jacquelyn,
      You must try these, they were lovely.
      Also Thank you so much for choosing to become a follower. Its much appreciated.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen