Sunday, 7 August 2011

Orange and Poppy Seed Waffles

For some reason, I've had Orange and poppy seed cake on my mind, but I didn''t want to make another cake so soon after the Chocolate and Chilli cake, so a compromise was made and I created these 'Orange and Poppy seed Waffles' for breakfast instead. 
Click the photograph above and you'll see the poppy seeds, as for the orange - well I had to plonk a slice of orange on the waffles below to demonstrate its content and deep orangy flavour. 
This is how we had them, served simply with a handful of berries from the garden.  Yes there are some wild strawberries and blueberries there and the remnants from the juiced orange - all diced up.  If you wish you could have stirred in some diced pieces of orange into the waffle mix too - it would have given it more flavour and texture.  If you don't fancy the orange, you can easily substitute it with a lemon, just go easy on the lemon juice unless of course you like it zingy.

I am sharing these with Relax and Surf Sundays hosted by Shibley Smiles and Simple Lives Thursday#55 hosted by gnowfglins and friends. 
Orange and Poppy seed Waffles
Serves 4
Ingredients
2 eggs, beaten
350ml/1½ cups milk
60ml/1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
Orange zest
3 - 4 tablespoons fresh orange juice
250g/2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
Pinch of salt
1 - 1½ teaspoon black poppy seeds
Method
In a bowl, mix the wet ingredients together. In another bowl, stir together the dry ingredients including the poppy seeds. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and combine well. Add more milk if necessary. Cook according to your waffle maker instructions.

12 comments:

  1. This looks so delicious! Yummy!:-))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmm, lovely especially with all that fruit on top :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum yum um, sorry been AWOL a bit, finishing upnat uni. Read lots but not commented.

    As always delicious :)

    I thought of you yesterday, I made a decent hm bruchetta for brekkie with windowsill tomatoes and basil (due to frozen north climate). Even took a pic, it was that tasty! Thank you for insiprin me to enjoy and think about my food.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Moni.
    :-)


    Thanks Jacqueline.
    The homegrown berries on top were really delightful :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Orkneyflowers.
    Absolutely no need to apologise. I've been not so good either. Uni the past month must have been tough. I hope its all over for you for now.

    You are so kind to me - Thank you. I haven't had a good bruscetta for ages, your I know would have been perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely fantastic...love ur presentation..
    Proud following u..:)
    u r welcome in my space too..
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much Mrs Bok.


    Thank you so much Jay.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Muy rico, lo voy a probar a ver como me queda
    Saludos
    http://empezandoenlacocina.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bella,
    Its actually very light. I do hope you get to try them. Happy eating.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are gorgeous... there are days when a serious waffle craving hits and these wud fit the bill totally! the fruit topping is yummm

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Cooking Foodie.
    The fruit topping was good, including the home made strawberry jam.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen