Sunday, 17 July 2011

Courgette and Chocolate Waffles

A bit like the Carrot 'Cake'; Lavender Scented and the Beetroot and Chocolate Waffles before that, these 'Courgette and Chocolate Waffles' were an experiment yesterday morning.
They turned out remarkably well, even if I don't say so myself. The grated courgette is not obvious to the eye.  Its only when you slice into the the waffles that you find specks of green amongst the dark squidgy texture.  Although there is no sugar in this recipe, these waffles are quite sweet from the cocoa, so feel free to reduce the cocoa powder if you want a slightly sweeter version.
We enjoyed these simply with a drizzling of maple syrup, but for a seriously indulgent weekend brunch, how about a couple of scoops of vanilla ice-cream or even whipped vanilla cream. If you have little ones around, I think they will enjoy these with more chocolate - chocolate sauce that is.
I am sharing this post at Penny Worthy Project; The Weekend Round Up at the life and time of the 21 century housewife; Relax and Surf Sundays hosted by Shipley Smiles; Melt in your mouth Mondays #21 hosted by Make Ahead Meals by Busy Moms; and finally Simple Lives Thursday#52 hosted by Gnowfglins et al. 

Courgette and Chocolate Waffles
Serves 4
Ingredients
2 eggs, beaten
350ml/1½ cups milk
60ml/1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 small courgette or 1/2 cup of cup courgettes, grated
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
250g/2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
2 - 4 tablespoons of fairtrade cocoa powder depending on how chocolaty you want it to be.
Pinch of salt
Method
In a bowl, mix the wet ingredients together. In another bowl, stir together the dry ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and combine well. Add more milk if necessary. Cook according to your waffle maker instructions. Adapted from this recipe.

24 comments:

  1. what is a courgette? like a zucchini? Thanks for linking up to the Penny Worthy Project! Love the recipe, I might just have to BUST OUT the waffle maker ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Wish I had a waffle maker..

    Martin :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great. I really must get my waffle iron out. I was shamed-faced when Graham came home with some shop-bought waffles today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have a waffle maker, but I'm feeling inspired to turn these into muffins...baking with zucchini (how do vegetables end up with so many names? or is it just that Australia has to be different?!) has never let me down yet and chocolate might be the perfect addition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the interesting recipe.
    New follower from Relax and Surf Sunday. Hope you follow back.
    http://grandmabonniescloset.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! I've entered a waffle iron into my wishlist. The waffles would be perfect for someone like me, who's still in a love-hate relationship with veggies :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ici nous aimons beaucoup les gaufres et de plus quand elles sont au chocolat!! Elles sont vraiment Magnifiques:)xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eccomi ritornata dalle mie brevi ma intense vacanze!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds soo good, I really need a waffle iron! Have you tried Nigella's recipe for courgette cake? That's pretty good too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much Laura.
    Its the same vegetable. In the U.K we know zuchinni by courgette.

    I'm pleased to have found Penny Worthy Project and will def. be a regular visitor :)


    Martin - better put it on your wish list :0
    I saved up for mine when i was earning, don't regret having it at all. Makes it all the more luxurious to have.
    :0)


    Thanks Jacqueline.
    Tut tut to Graham, but I understand temptation - you do need to get the waffle iron out :) Maybe it was hs way of hinting to you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Kari.
    You'll like my blog entry today then, courgette and chocolate muffins.

    Your right about the name thing - i guess that is what they call vegetable diversity :)



    Thank you so much Grandma Bonnie.
    I will def. be coming by for a visit to say Thank you.


    Thanks Sumaiyyah.
    Hope whatever is on your wish list comes true with time. It took me a few years before I eventually got mine. And this is the perfect was to disguise veg - in sweet things :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much ~Lexibule~
    For such a lovely compliment.
    x


    Thank you Francesca.
    I will def. come by to see what you have been up to. I am nosy like that :)


    Hi nothanksimavegan.com.
    I have no regrets gettign a waffle iron and totally recommnd it to readers to put on their wish list - I use mine a lot.I haven't tried Nigella's recipe for courgette cake, but will make a point to check it out :) What book is it in? I only have her first two.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These sound really inviting. I've got an awful lot of courgettes so now all I need is a waffle maker. There's a very nostalgic background in your pictures - are the waffles Sweet Things best enjoyed on Cyprus Avenue?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Of course Phil.
    Thank you for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Shaheen!!!!!!How are you???? I have so many news!!!! Between others... i am... engaged!It was so nice i heard from you!!!!!!!! You can take any recipe you want! The ''unknown'' pastitsio is even better than the classic one!!!!!!! I hope you are fine, and i hope you are on summer vacation!!!! MANY MANY KISSES dear!!!!!!!! Miss you also!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks donkey and the carrot.
    Lovely to hear from youtoo.
    Congratulations on your engagement. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Following you back these look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm pretty sure the courgette cake is in domestic goddess, but I could be wrong! Did you read my post on the vegan blackcurrant pancakes? x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'll check it out.
    Coming by your blog right noww :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh! *drool*, I do love to visit your blog!
    I love waffles but am reluctant to buy an iron as I don't really have room for another gadget. You're tempting me otherwise with this post (and the lavender one) though!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you Hannah.
    I understand your reservations about gettign the waffle iron, its does take up room. I tend to have it stored in the cupboards and bring it out only at weekends.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is such a good recipe - tasty waffles that are good for you too! I like the idea of the chocolate sauce to serve with them as well - treats like that are good for the soul! Thank you for sharing this post with The Weekend Roundup last week. It's lovely to discover your blog. I'm sorry that I did not get round to commenting earlier, I have been getting ready for our holiday and travelling, and am now visiting family in Canada. The Weekend Roundup linky is up again this weekend - hope to 'see' you there!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you so much April.
    NO worries about the delay in coming over, I'm so sure I've had visitors through your linky.
    Hope you have a good holiday in Cananda. Kind wishes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen