Tuesday, 10 August 2010

Orange carrot salad

This is really a misleading title for this salad, especially as no oranges, that is the orange fruit have been used in either of these carrot salads as I am only referring to it colour.
As this is a rather orange entry. It got me thinking what word did we use in the English speaking world to describe an orange before it was named after the orange fruit. Apparently, the colour orange was referred to as geoluhread (yellow-red) and the first recorded use of orange as a colour name in English was in 1512, in the court of King Henry VIII.
This photograph was taken when I was in Kirriemuir a few months ago for work. Some of you may have heard of Kirriemuir. It’s the birthplace of J M Barrie author of Peter Pan. I got to see Peter Pan statue in the town centre, but did not get the opportunity to snap a photograph. The first time he was surrounded by a number of people were just hovering, not surprising when the statue is located outside a chippie, takeaway and a pub; and the afternoon I was leaving, it was raining, no in fact it was pouring. Follow this link if you want to see what else I failed to capture and share in a photograph.
Anyway, this recipe was made a little while ago in an attempt to use up what I had. First it began as a 'mint-carrot salad' accompanying another meal, then its evolved into something more substantial. Some new potatoes, steamed and and a few broad beans with a little seasoning of salt and pepper. It seems like a rather lazy salad, but I’m a firm believer of using what is in the fridge and vegetable basket first and it was welcomed when our bellies were rumbling.
I am submitting this simple Potato and carrot salad to Jacqueline of Tinned Tomatoes for this month's No Croutons Required challenge.
For this month, both Jacqueline and Lisa of Lisa's Kitchen wanted us to come up with either a soup or a salad that included carrots.
Follow this link if you want to make more of your carrots, including scones, muffins, cakes, soup and tarts.

8 comments:

  1. That salad looks absolutely perfect. I love the simplicity of it.

    I have a carrot question for you: I pulled a few early ones out of the garden last week and they were delicious raw but lost almost all flavour coooked. Any idea why? Seemed quite strange to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely orange post :-). I like grated carrot salad, but I always use lemon, not orange, possibly out of habit...must try. Ad it is not a lazy salad: it takes time and energy to grate carrots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Christine.

    Simple it certainly is.

    In relation to your carrot question, I'm no expert sorry, but most veg that can be eaten raw when cooked lose its original fantastic flavour and smell. Shame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Alessandra.

    Haha - I had not thought about all that energy going into the grating of the carrot. Your right :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the history of the word orange - so interesting, I can't believe I haven't thought to look it up. I agree, grating carrots is a lot of work. Your salad with the potatoes looks good, and seems out of the ordinary for me. Usually I see cooked carrots and potatoes, or raw carrots with tomatoes or raisins. Looks like a good original twist!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved all the orange photos, food, birds and flowers are three of my favourite things and travel of course is a special favourite. So you covered all the bases here!!

    Carrots are almost finished in the garden, so am trying a new crop in hopes they will grow enough to cover and keep over the winter. Seems I can put a bale of straw over them or heavy mulch....willing to try! Do you overwinter vegetables in your garden?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks - it is a pity indeed. Ah well, I shall eat them all raw then!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much Jessica.
    I know, I too couldn't beleive that i hadn't looked up the history either. Interesting for sure.


    Gardening Bren.
    Thank you.

    I still have some baby carrots growing in pots, I'm looking forward to enjoyign them when I get back from my holidays.

    In the past over winter, I've had leeks, parsnips, sprouts, kale and swiss chard growing, but thats about all. Not sure what will happen this year as those white cabbage butterflies seem to be beating me. I found some eggs on one of my chard plants!


    Christine.
    Sorry :( Enjoy them raw and grated this way.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen