Saturday, 19 June 2010

I spy with my big Brown eyes

my first 'Gold Rush' courgette of the year. Oh how precious. I also look close to see what other hidden vegetable treasures my garden plot has for me.
I take a look closer at my pea wig wams - can you see him? - my scarecrow! I'm actually looking for some crunchy green things.
I find some peas. Although not ready, 4 of my 10 pea plants are producing. Can I see anything else? This time I had to look at the plot from a different angle - the back and guess what I see...
not one, not two, but three little cluster of broccoli heads. I am jumping up and down. This was certainly an unexpected surprise. After watering the plants and pottering around in the garden, I decided to make a light salad for lunch. As you can see, my courgettes are a little while off from gracing my dinner plate, so I had picked some courgettes earlier from the farmers market. I had plans for it, not just for easy eating but also for this months No Croutons Challenge which is being hosted by Jacqueline of Tinned Tomatoes. This month the challenge is to create a soup or salad with courgette or zucchini. So this is my humble little entry made with grated courgettes, grated carrots, orzo, a pasta shaped like rice or pearls of barley and some seeds for crunch.
I admit this is not going to win any prizes, as it hardly involves any cooking and is pretty effortless. But hey it was good and worth sharing with other fellow bloggers. Sometimes its good to spend more time in the garden enjoying the sunshine and less time in the kitchen. I think this simple salad would also be excellent for outdoor eating too! Go on make it for your next veggie BBQ.
Courgette, carrot and orzo salad
Serves 2 - 4 with accompaniments
Ingredients
100g orzo, cooked according to packet instructions, drained and set aside
1 large courgette, grated
2 large carrots, grated
6 tablespoons of olive oil
2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
4 - 6 tablespoons of toasted sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds; or both
Method.
Stir the courgette and carrots into the orzo. Whizz the olive oil with the vinegar, then drizzle over the courgette, carrots and orzo. Season with salt and pepper. When ready to serve, scatter over the seeds.

15 comments:

  1. All of your little plants are so cute! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Morgan. Its an exciting time in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your garden successes!! All the new plants are so beautiful! Your salad is so perfect for summer - I love all the colors! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Astra.

    I am rather precious of the little that is growing in my small space. You should see me in the garden, chasing the white cabbage butterfly away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Mango Cheeks,
    Ooh, I have so much garden envy right now. This is wonderful, and I want some of those crunchy looking peas for lunch! I do organic gardening at my Mom's house, but I want a place where I can have a garden.
    Your salad looks wonderful by the way. I love toasted sunflower seeds on anything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Stella.
    I remember you mentioning your Moms garden the last time you visited. I totally understand your desire to havea garden of your own.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mine are at about the same stage as yours. It is just so exciting to see all those little veggies growing every day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The little plants are so cute... and the colourful salad looks so tempting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thats good to hear Matron.



    Thank you Rachana. Just like children, then they grow ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by my blog mangocheeks:-)
    You say you're not going to win any prizes...well, I don't know. That salad looks really delicious to me! And those pictures are fabulous (your scarecrow is *extremely* scary, btw- like a clown!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Emmalene.
    I am glad you like the simplicity of this salad. Its just too simple.

    Oh my poor scarecrow ain't that scary - honest. He is just not in the best light, he's quite a gentle soul really. Must show you a better picture of him in all his glory :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I must try to be patient and wait for my comments to be spam checked! I keep coming back and finding I didn't wait long enough. Anyway... I get very excited about the things growing in our garden too, and I am really pleased to see your little courgette, because our squashes are really struggling this year. Last year they were like monsters on the rampage. You can never tell what is going to be a success and what isn't. The broad beans are looking promising for a few by the end of the week. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry Kath - you've lost me re your comments and spam. Have you been having problems with my comments on your blog? Confused mangocheeks.

    It certainly is an exciting time for us veggie growers. YOur right each year is different and you don't know what is going to be successful and what is not. I have always been fortunate with courgettes, but not pumpkins. Strange as they are the same family. My broad beans are still flowering no signs of pods yet, so I envy that you'll get to harvest some come next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I spotted my first cougettes yesterday!! Yey! Hurry up and grow!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Its so exciting Sooz. I agree 'hurry up and Grow!'

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen