Wednesday, 14 October 2009

The Virtues of Tinned Tomatoes

This is a thick, rich and deep soup. I would even go as far as to say that it has smoky undertones.
This is my entry for this months No Croutons Required challenge hosted by the lovely Jacqueline of Tinned Tomatoes. Jacqueline asked us to be frugal and to create either a soup or a salad using store cupboard ingredients. No nipping out to the shops. Although it was okay to pop out to the garden to pick your home grown vegetables and herbs which I could have done so easily. Instead I decided to take a look in my cupboards and fridge and see what I could come up with the ingredients I had there.

I was originally going to make a Caribbean inspired callaloo soup, but then went and added some shop bought red peppers which would have disqualified me from the challenge, plus the callaloo dish was quite chunky and would hardly constitute as a soup, so it was onto plan 2. I used tinned tomatoes, tinned chickpeas and sun-dried tomatoes in oil from a jar that has been sitting at the bottom of my fridge for a long while now. I also used some of my belly warming spices.
I think this flavour combination is popular, after all who doesn’t have tinned tomatoes?! It is such a versatile ingredient: you can whizz it up, blitz it, add it to soups, casseroles, make impromptu sauces for pizzas, pastas, lasagne's and so forth.
Chickpea and sun-dried tomato soup
Serves 4
Ingredients
1 medium onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1 tbsp oil
1 x 800g tin of chick peas
1 x 400g tin of tomatoes, chopped (I normally buy whole tomatoes and break them up in the pot as i'm cooking)
3 tbsp of chopped sun-dried tomatoes
1 generous tsp ground cumin
1 tsp cayenne
1 pint of vegetable stock
Salt and pepper to taste
Minced parsley (optional)
Method
In a large pot on medium heat, sauté the onions and garlic in oil until translucent. Then add the spices until well infused. Now add the tomatoes, chickpeas and stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce to low heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Then turn off to cool. When cool enough, put half of the soup into a food processor and blend until smooth, return to the pot. Stir in parsley if using and reheat gently before serving.

8 comments:

  1. it's taken the autumn chill off just looking at that :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nic.

    There are not many soup recipes I rave about, but this one I think is truly delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mango Cheeks, that looks like one tasty soup! Thank you for entering it. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jacqueline.
    I'm looking forward to seeing the other store cupboard creations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yum - that soup really captures my attention because it is just what I would love to eat, and I have everything in the cupboard as a rule

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you like the idea of this soup Johanna.
    It was really deep flavoured.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy soup! I have the exact same jar (maybe smaller) of sun dried tomatoes in my fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it is one of the lovelieist and deep flavoured soups I have ever had. Yeah, as you can see these sundried toms. are imported. Shame on me really, as I could have made these myself with my home-grown toms. But hey, not everything is possible, maybe I will try next year.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen